Newbie help?!

ScottYalloP

Reefing newb
Hi peeps ive been keeping fish for the last 3 years now all of them Freshwater.
So now ive decided to dive into the salt water side and i need a little help with the equipment:
first i was planning on using a HOB filter like Kev https://www.livingreefs.com/kevs-new-20-gal-reef-sump-free-t21639p6.html
so the equipment so far i was planning on
3 wave makers
Brand New Wave Maker for all tank 5000L/H Magnetic Fix on eBay (end time 14-Nov-09 00:51:56 GMT)

2 Boyu overhead lights 18w each
New Boyu Overhead 350mm 1ft 3 x 8W T5 Aquarium Lighting on eBay (end time 07-Nov-09 20:33:44 GMT)

now this is the tricky bit its either a
Skilter 250 filter with protein skimmer
Skilter 250 Power Filter w/Protein Skimmer - Peticious.com - Delicious

or a resun 4 stage HOB filter
Resun 4 stage medium Filter for all Aquarium 630L/H on eBay (end time 04-Nov-09 22:01:08 GMT)

please help ?!

Completely forget about those skilter filters.There not worth the cardboard they pack em in.There even worse than seaclones.
The light I'm not sure about.
OH
And welcome to the site.Were happy to have you.

yeah those filters both look pretty crappy.

what size tank?
what kind of animal are you planning on keeping?
do you want to have corals, now or later?

answers to these questions can help

I have the Remora C hob skimmer, good reviews online and I like it. It fills up the cup pretty quick, so get the one with the drain line hookup thingy if you do. I have pics if you like...

The tank is a clearseal 14 gallon,
i was planning on 2 clown fish and a few shrimp.
the lighting has changed 2 two arcadia 18w ocean moon light.
i was thinking would live rock and a hong on skimmer be enough filtration along with live sand?

Hello and welcome to the site...you're correct, enough live rock(1-2lbs/gal), hob, live sand, and a powerhead will be perfect for your 14gal. The trick is to do regular water changes...no matter what type of equipment you have.

well its coming along but very slow ive gotta wait till get the funds on next friday to my skimmer, so far its not that great lighting but its a light! ive got about 5 kg of live rock so far i did see a fire worm last night is that a good thing or a bad thing?
dsc0064br.jpg

dsc0065.jpg

I think your Fire worm is more commonly referred to as a "Bristle Worm." They are beneficial detritus eaters, that won't harm anything in your tank. Congrats! :^:

You know for a 14 gallon tank I would not use a skimmer. PWC`s will accomplish the same thing in a smaler tank. I always suggest in a 30 or less that a skimmer is not needed.

ok so it would be more benificial to just do partial water changes than having a skimmer ?
also ive decided to cut the lights out for 3-4 days and do larger water changes to combat the algae

Last edited:
OMG Please do not get that rio hob skimmer!!! I have it right now w/ my 10g...it's worthless!!! First of all, I notice that all the muck floats to the top. And the rio's intake tube is only sucking water mid-tank....but not getting to the suface skim at all. So I'm constantly fishing out the muck at the surface.

I thought about doing a fix of adding a U extension to have it point back to the surface, but I"ve decided it's not worth the effort. So I'm looking to just either getting a small hob overflow into a sump or just switching to a predrilled 20g. But seriously....I'm so mad at my eagerness to buy this thing.

Just IMHO :)

As far as coral, you can start out with pretty much any type of soft coral(mushrooms,leathers,xenia,polyps,etc...). They will all do well in your tank.

Back