Newbie lighting question

Hello, I've been reading on this site but this is my first post. I will post some pics of my tank in the Introductions section soon :) I have a 55 gal and I think I want to upgrade my lighting. I purchased the basic Coralife T5 light with 1 white 26W and 1 actinic 26W when I set it up a few months ago. I thought it looked pretty good compared to the light that came with the tank, but now after reading more about lighting I regret getting that one. I'm looking at the AquaticLife T5 HO light (54W 10,000°K and 54W Actinic for a total of 108W) which seems to have really good reviews and not too expensive - do you think that can support mushrooms and other lower-light corals? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thanks! With this lighting setup, when I'm looking at corals on LiveAquaria.com for example, would it be safe to say I could get anything that says "low" for their light requirement? Or also "moderate"? Just researching on there but will pick up from my LFS.

Mushrooms are in the softies category, correct? Also just curious what you think of this - a guy at a LFS told me I could keep mushrooms with my current lights, was he totally wrong on this? I know I shouldn't trust what they say anyway ;)

well, you might be able to keep the mushrooms up high with that light, but they will be much happier with both lights. Plus i think mushrooms are about it for the single light. But with the two lights you will have so many more options and i think you will enjoy the larger variety of corals.

And yes, mushrooms are soft corals. :)

I've got a question ....... I am thinking about upgrading from my 29 gal to a 55 gal ....when I do that I would like to be able to keep hard and soft corals ( since I started the saltwater hobby I find I am more interested in hard/soft corals, cocoa worms, clams, and scallops) ...... So my question is what light would you guys recommend would be best for a verity of theses things? What lights do you guys have?

By the way, scallops and coco worms arent photosynthetic and are notoriously hard to keep because our tanks dont tend to produce enough food to keep them alive. But a really good alternative to the coco worms are feather dusters. They come in a variety of beautiful colors and tend to do well in our tank.

Back