Newbie Overflow question

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
Okay, I'm in the process of coming up with an equipment list and I'm unsure of a return pump

I'm planning on a standard reef ready All Glass 180 with dual overflows. I've seen a few different estimates on-line of what a standard overflow like that flows in GPH anywhere from 400-600 GPH (per overflow)

Using one hole in each overflow as a drain and one as a return, would something like a MagDrive 7 or 9.5 be sufficient as a return pump in the sump?

Thanks!

The manufacturer rate each overflow at 600gph max so 1200gph on your tank.I recently took down a 210g AGA tank.Realistically,they can only handle 400-500gph each overflow,otherwise they gurgle and burp.A Mag 7/9.5 will work but is somewhat under power.At a head loss of two returns at 5ft,you will barely get 300-500gph out of them.Look for a pump that will do 1200-1500gph at zero head height.Use a ball valve to adjust the flow.Personally,I'm using a Panworld pump(1750gph) externally split into three lines(2 returns,1 refuge) and I still have the ball valve half open.

+1 reef! sorry i dont know what im talking about, just wanted to agree and feel part of the group :( haha

yea, no where near as quick as david :P 37 posts per day compared with my measly 10... Im just gonna go into old posts and type 'BUMP' whoops! hehe, might catch up that way!

Back