Newbie questions

silvrrubi592

Reefing newb
I kept freshwater fish for many years and I "inherited" a 30 gal tank that was left behind in the basement when I bought my condo. Then I got married. When my wife saw I had the empty tank, she got me interested in starting things up again and gave me the go ahead "as long as we can have pretty fish". Freshwater got kind of boring to me, and saltwater are prettier fish, so we're lookign at saltwater setups.

So I've spent a couple months kicking ideas around about the 30 gallon tank, and this weekend I got a deal on a bigger 50 gallon tank. Just what I needed to add to the "new saltwater" confusiion!

Is the bigger tank better for the beginner?

Hello and welcome. A 50 is a good starting point. Smaller tanks are smaller water volume, which means things can go wrong much faster. Do your home work, look into sumps (will increase your water volume), a good quality skimmer, and lighting (one of the most important decisions you'll make). Decide first if you want a fish only tank, or want to have a reef tank with both fish and coral. Base your equipment desions on the answer to that one question.

Yep, the bigger tank will be more beneficial than the smaller one, because the more water volume you have, the more stable the parameters will be...and the more fish you can have.

I'm planning on putting live rock in the tank (hoping to make some of my own for that), but I'm not sure I want to get inviolved with the corals (yet).

Generaly speaking, how many fish can I safely expect to keep in a 50 gallon? I know the filter setup plays a big part in that number. Just a rough number. We've been thinking clowns for sure, and maybe something else compatible to add some color (yellows, reds and blues).

The maturity level of the tank/biological filter determines that. Usually one fish per ten gallons is the rule. A mature tank might be able to handle 6-7, especially if they were smaller fish.

+1 Angie. Your rock will be your filter, but you need powerheads to circulate the water. 3x550-750 would be about perfect, plus return flow if you have a sump.

Welcome! I'd suggest reading a couple of the articles in the articles section of this site and really doing your homework on equipment before purchasing stuff! I think a 50 is a good starter tank - if you went with the 30, you'd want to upgrade in no time! And a piece of advice from a fellow MA resident - be wary of most of the LFS (local fish stores) in our area - they provide a nice mix of bad advice, super over-priced live stock and corals, and equipment that isn't very high quality! Look forward to hearing about your progress!

There's local fish stores in Boston? I'm a little north of town, but all I can find is the two big chains.

I'm originally form NJ, and knew of 3-4 places beside the chains that were within a 15-20 minute drive. I'd love to find a plae to go window shopping at.

There's local fish stores in Boston? I'm a little north of town, but all I can find is the two big chains.

I'm originally form NJ, and knew of 3-4 places beside the chains that were within a 15-20 minute drive. I'd love to find a plae to go window shopping at.

Yup, window shopping and drooling is fun! It took me awhile to find these places, but here's my run down:

Tropic Isle in Framingham - tons of stock and good for seeing different types of fish in person; coral selection is terrible and over-priced; fish tanks are over-stocked and not always clean (and there have been a few times when I'll literally see a dead fish in almost in every tank); fish prices vary - some are good some not so good. I've bought a few fish from them and all have done well so far, but I was very picky in looking for healthy stock, and shopped around for the best price. I think they are good for viewing fish and picking up things like food, plumbing supplies, etc.

Skiptons / Unique Aquaria in Boston's South End - coral selection is phenomenal, but prices are sky high - easily 5x what you will pay elsewhere or online, even after shipping. I did use them for a service call and the guy that runs the service department really knows his stuff - that was worth it. Fish selection is so-so, and fish prices are what you see elsewhere on most stuff. I've heard they don't really take much care in acclimating their fish or quarantining the more delicate species, and have also seen dead fish in their tanks.

Oceans in Glass in Salem, NH - By far my favorite store for fish - their tanks are impeccable and you can tell they really pay close attention to things like not overstocking tanks and taking consideration for which types of fish they put together in tanks. Fish prices are a little higher than what you would pay online, but they frequently have 15% off sales on the weekends and with the quality of fish I think their prices are worth it - they aren't high enough to send me away. Coral selection needs work, but they've occasionally had some very nice pieces, its just a small selection.

Jay's Aquatics in Salem NH - The place to go for local coral, IMO. Prices are very reasonable and he occasionally frags up big pieces so you can really nice frags of things like frogspan, trumpets, acans, etc. The store is a bit crowded with equipment, and I've found the fish selection to be 50/50. When I make the drive up there, I usually stop at both this place for coral and oceans in glass for fish.

I almost always do my research online first and have asked questions both to guage knowledge and honesty at all of these places - the two places in Salem seem to have staff who are knowledgable, though I'm still cautious about taking advice w/o doing my own research. Tropic Isle is only interested in selling livestock and could care less about giving you bad advice about things like what type of fish can be housed together, how many you can add a given time, and how big of a tank certain fish need. They also have a lot of young kids working there who don't always know what they are talking about. Skipton's staff seems knowledgable, but their stuff is so ridiculously overpriced that I wouldn't buy from them anyway. Seriously, they quoted me a 1" frag of an exotic chalice for $1200, which you can get online for $300.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions about these places and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction! :)

Hello and Welcome!

Lots of great advice so far!

I just want to add that you can buy mostly dry rock (much cheaper) and just a couple piece of live rock. The live rock will seed the dry rock and after you cycle your tank, it will all be live and you will have more money in your pocket for the good stuff!

My favorite place to buy dry rock is MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

Back