newbie with new tank

liljohn

Reefing newb
We have a new 55 gal tank that has been running for about 2 weeks. It has 60 lbs of live sand and about 40 lbs of live rock(the live rocks have small what looks like small red feather dusters living on the rocks). The ammonia level has bottomed out and the nitrate level has not changed much and is around 40 was higher a couple day ago. What other levels should I look into? The tank will eventually be a reef tank with fish that will complement each other. The filter system is a wet dry with live rock in the system, there is also a Fluval 404 running for additional filtering and water flow.

Do I need a protein skimmer, and at what point do i add the skimmer? Is there anything else that I shoud add or take out.

What fish, corals, cleaning crew(shrimp, snails, crabs, ect) should I start with first. I will take the necessary measures to make this work.

Thanks for any suggestions and look forward to seeing the responses.

Sounds like you're on a good setup.

The on thing people around here say if it's a canister filter, they are a breeding ground for Nitrate. They just say keep up with the maint and water changes, things will get down to zero.

Here is a great link to saltwater fish, check out the articles page of living reef, Enjoy.

You'll get a lot more information from some great people shortly

Hello and Welcome!

You will need to do a water change to reduce the nitrate level, or set up a refugium. Also the protein skimmer will remove dissolved organics from the water before they can rot down to being nitrates.

Canister filters are more of a freshwater technology, they tend to lead to nitrates if not cleaned very frequently. A good protein skimmer would be a much better investment for your tank.

It is normal for nitrates to spike at the end of a cycle, you said that you were showing 0 ammonia, what are you showing for Nitrites?

It has 60 lbs of live sand and about 40 lbs of live rock(the live rocks have small what looks like small red feather dusters living on the rocks)./QUOTE]

Hello and Welcome. :D

Are you sure they are small red feather dusters and not Aiptasia. Check out a search of Aiptasia and if that is what they are then it is a pest you want to get rid of.

Also you really want more than 40 pounds of live rock in a 55 gallon tank. The general rule of thumb is 1 to 2 pounds per gallon. The live rock will be your bio filtration.

Thanks for the input, I have removed the canister filter and will add a skimmer within the next couple of days. I will get more live rock at the same time, I will probably add another 30 lbs of rock.

I looked into the Aiptasia and I do not have that in my tank. I found the red tube worm rocks that are for sale. I got lucky and they came with the live rock.

I do not have a nitrite kit but, will have one this weekend.

you really dont need a nitrite kit, especially if your tank has already cycled, so you can save your money for something fun. Another good way to save money is to buy dry rock, which will turn into live rock after being in your tank for a few weeks. My favorite place to buy dry rocks is www.marcorocks.com

Have dry rock in the tank and I will wait and see how the rocks change. My ammonia and nitrate levels are changing, ammoniais up to .025 and nitrate is down to 20. When should I start adding a cleaning crew(snails, crabs, shrimp ect)?

You can add a cleaner crew when ammonia and nitrites are both at 0. When they are at 0, you will probably need to do a water change to get nitrates below 20 as well. That's when your cycle will be complete, and you shouldn't add any livestock until the cycle is done.

Still confused, do I need to a water change now or wait until the cycle has completed?

I am using household well water, I have a uv and a micron filter after the well pump. Do I need a ro/di fliter system? If I do need a system can you suggest some companys and are there systems I should avoid?

Definitely wait until your tank has fully cycled to do your 1st water change..How many weeks has it been, and water parameters? I'm in the process of pricing out and comparing RO/DI units too so I won't be any help there, but someone more experienced here can cover that one.

Hello all, the tank levels are almost there but, the algae is taking over. We went to the lfs and talked the problem over and decided the levels would be ok for a cleaning crew. So, I now have 6 emerald crabs, 12 hermits, 6 turbos, 6 tigers, and 12 other small snails that I cant remember the name. It is amazing to watch them work, as well they are saying LUNCH TIME. Thanks for all the advice and I will update soon.

Hello all, The tank is doing well. I have added some livestock and everything is doing well. The levels are 0 but the nitrate is between 10 and 20, it never 0ed out. I have been doing water changes every 5 days and cleaning the skimmer everyday. I will keep checking the levels and will be looking for advise on reducing the level.

Nitrates between 10 and 20 are fine. As long as you keep up with the water changes and they stay at that level or below, you are fine.

In the 9 months I've had my 60 gallon tank up I have never gotten my nitrates to read below 20. Not even after doing a huge water change after a medication dosing have I gotten it to budge.

Back