Newbie ?

jayb123

Reefing newb
I am currently running a Protein skimmer and two powerheads with 60lbs of live rock in a 55 gallon tank. The guy at the local store convinced me that I need something stronger to turn my water over and that the protein skimmer was not adequate. I bought a canaster filter just to turn the water over. Is this true that I need this or did I waste my money? I am using the canaster just to turn the water over, not a filter.

what skimmer are you running??..protein skimmer is a must in all system if you want to have success...for removing bio waste and proteins before they turn into ammonia and trates...if the canister is only for current ill be ok..also as filter ill do good , but will require weekly clean up..

The actual turnover rate is determined by the amount of water passing through your filtration.
A lot of folks get turnover confused with the flow rate.

personally, I think you got a line of crap. I have two Rio 400 powerheads placed on the sides of my tank. It seems to be sufficient to keep things moving in my tank. Take a look at my recent pics in the reef talk forum to get an idea. I don't have a canister filter. I have a sump that has my media bags with carbon and phosguard but no canister filter. I have never found a need, even in my 125. Best of luck to you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I don't think a canister was needed but since you already have,use it.Make sure if its use as a fliter(filter floss,carbon) that you cleaned weekly/bi-monthly.

If the LFS was concerned that you may not have enough flow,then additional powerhead or circulation pump would of been a better choice.Almost sounds like they wanted a sale.

I agree. You were taken. You could have just added an addition cheapo $12 powerhead if you needed more flow, there's absolutely no need to run an empty canister filter. But it may come in handy later on if you want to run carbon, phosphate or nitrate removers. Be careful, if you do not keep them immaculate and clean them often it will leach tons of nitrates in your tank and lead to algae problems.

Yes, I feel Like an asshole who just got taken by another one of these Aquarium store experts. Im really getting sick of dropping money on stuff I dont need. He was trying to talk me into drilling my tank and having a sump. He said that the canaster with no filter is a cheap way of doing that. This is really starting to frustrate me.

take you time..ive been there before...take advantage of the canister filter...if is giving good current..what the heck..sometimes FS wants to sell at all cost...educate yourself first, that way youll be a step ahead...here theres a lot of usefull articles to get you informed..have fun...this hobbies is really awsome...this has happend to us all!!

please ask us first about things like that. We may not know everything, but you can get a wide variety of information to help you get an idea of what you want for your tank. There are a few things that are totally necessary, but other things are not. Many people load up on really expensive set ups, and they are awesome and really consistent and healthy, but you can have "good enough" with other, less intense set ups.

A sump is not a bad idea, but you do not need to have your tank drilled to get one. I have a 20 gallon sump on my 125 and it hides all my equipment and provides a place for filtration. If you have a smaller tank, you don't need one. You can have a hang on the back filter and do just fine. The smaller the tank, the less stuff you need. Best of luck to you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

It happens to all of us, don't sweat it. I've found it helpful to post on these forums before I buy any new equipment or animals that I'm not familiar with to see if everyone else thinks it's a good idea before I spend the cash on it. Having a sump is a good idea, but you don't need to drill your tank to have one. A much cheaper way of having a sump is to just buy an overflow box and hang it off the back of the tank (which is how I have my tank set up). Having an empty canister filter does not take the place of a sump.

It's hard to find LFS people that you can trust that just aren't trying to make money off of you. When you find one that you like and that is genuinely concerned about their livestock and simply wants you to have the best tank that you possibly can without making you buy useeless extras, I'd say stick with that store and show them your loyalty, even if they are more expensive than some other stores.

I run a canister (cascade 700) in my 55. I bought the simplest one I could find (its just a bunch of foam sponge filters). I use it just to keep the bigger particles out of my water and once in a while I run carbon. I clean it once a week and you would be surprised how much garbage it pulls out of the water.

A canister can be a great piece of equipment.IF your willing to and have the time to keep it clean.
Like every body else already said,Ask here before you ask at the LFS.We dont want your money ( unless your just giving it away).

Back