wolf28802002

Reefing newb
I have a 30 gallon tall reef tank that I'm starting. I have tested my water every day waiting for the cycles to pass my ammonia went to .25 my nitrite has stayed at 0 and my nitrate is at 20 i used 21 lbs instant cycling live reef sand and 20 lbs of live rock my P.H. is at 8.1 what do my tests need to read before I put fish in? The tank has been setup for 3 days. Thanks in advance for the info:sfish:

Hello and welcome. Your cycle isn't finished until ammonia is at zero. So it sounds like your tank just finished cycling. Even though you used "instant cycling" sand, there is no way to ensure that you will skip a cycle. The cycle can take several weeks to complete. I would add a pinch of food to the tank right now to ensure that your cycle is actually kicked off and strong enough that your parameters won't spike when you add a fish.

You must wait until ammonia and nitrites are both at zero before you add any fish. And then, you should only add one fish at a time, leaving at least 3 weeks in between additions. In a 30 gallon tank, you will be limited to about 3 or 4 fish total, so pick which fish you want and research them ahead of time, as it's very difficult to catch them and get them out if you change your mind after you add one. ;)

my tests p.h.8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 0. Are there any other test(s) that i should do? or take a sample to my lfs just to be on the safe side. :bowdown: Thank you for helping. I was wondering if I could put a black and white clown with a regular clown in the same tank.

i would try a piece of dead shrimp first just to be sure, and if then the params dont spike you should be good to go.

Black and white clowns and regular clowns can go together, just make sure one is much larger then the other or there could be a fight to the death for dominance

Back