Nipping tang

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Ok so Doc's Reef Build thread(go look at Doc's Reef thread) has me wondering about LPS nipping Tangs. While I was at work this week my frogspawn has pretty much quit extending it polyps and my hammer has extended them only about 1/2 of what they normally do. I thought that the hammer was just irritated from the Kole tang rubbing against it on its way to its favorite cave but now witht the frogspawn shitting the bed I think that I have a nipper.

How many of you have had nipping tangs? Im going to be setting up a hospital tank this weekend for the tang anyways so we'll see if it was him very soon.

it's possible. I know my flame angel has history of picking at coral and although I haven't caught it doing it there always is the possibility that it is the cause of my LPS decline and my earlier clam deaths.

the only time i have seen a tang go near a coral and pick at it was when it was eating the mucus which tangs do, but that causes no harm to the coral. i have never even heard of tangs nipping corals although anything is possible

the only time i have seen a tang go near a coral and pick at it was when it was eating the mucus which tangs do, but that causes no harm to the coral. i have never even heard of tangs nipping corals although anything is possible

+1 dustin. I think its possible just because animals are unpredictable but personally i have never experienced it.

My tangs have never gone after my coral but i was just about to buy a Flame Angel this week but waited a bit since my LFS just got them in and i wanted to be sure they were eating ... but now maybe i should rethink that ... are Flame's known to eat or nip at corals till they die or wont come out? do they have specific corals they like or go after?

I know my flame angel has history of picking at coral and although I haven't caught it doing it there always is the possibility that it is the cause of my LPS decline and my earlier clam deaths.

Last edited:
Gooseman, the corals that your flame angel would threaten would be LPS corals, and possibly zoanthids, and you would also probably have minimal luck with clams.

i guess its hit or miss with them then ... will definitely have to analyze the risk involved ... i plan on having a lot of zoas in my tank and currently have 95% LPS only 1 or 2 SPS

Gooseman I would pass on the flame. They are a read fish but not worth it. RyanG the only time my tangs mess with my lps is when I have feed them and they try to steal the food if I am not watching. I would almost think it was the blenny first. I have heard of them picking on sps.

One possible solution:

fishfry1.jpg

Back