Nitrate levels are around 15 ppm help!

llduce10

Reefing newb
SO MY TESTING KIT CAME TODAY AND I TESTED MY WATER LIKE 3 TIMES , PH IS A LITTLE HIGH, AMMONIA IS AT A GOOD LEVEL, NITRITE IS AT A GOOD LEVEL, BUT MY NITRATE IS AT ABOUT 15PPM, I THINK THIS IS THE REASON WHY MY NEW SHRIMP DIED WITHIN HOURS...ANY ADVICE? I WAS PLANING TO GO OUT AND BUY NITRATE PELLETS TO PUT IN MY CASCADE 1000 CANISTER FILTER:death::death:

How are your phosphates. Your Nitrate level is not that high. Both of my reefs have about 5-10 ppm and everything is okay. I don't feel as if it's the nitrates that is causing the problem. However it is always better to have them lower. Buy some macro algae to grow in there, and make sure you do weekly water changes, about 10% at least.

Also test everything else that you can and post results please.

I got to buy the other part to the master test kit that includes phosphates, if i have alot of red algae in my tank would that mean my phosphates are high

Yes it would, get a phosphate test kit, and most likely some phosphate remover. If you go to a LFS, take some water with, see if they can test for phosphates, if they say it is high you will know you need some sort of phosphate remover, that way you only need to take one trip.

Also, what is your temp and salinity?

Mine stays around 10-15ppm that is not that bad really. If you acclimated the shrimp long enough I dont think it would have killed it personally.

I have about 4 different shrimp I always acclimate them for at least an hour with a drip.

Nitrates are toxic to inverts. I also dont understand why its become ok to have nitrates on this site, you want your nitrates at zero for the best health of your corals and inverts.

i am starting to understand the whole water chem thing....not sure if this helps i have to hermit crabs, that are doing well, and molt regularly..i think it comes down to i did not let him accumulate long enough..i think it was for about an hour, with no drip...tested water today, ...ammonia at 0, ph 7.8, nitrite at 0, nitrate at about 5.0

Build an algae scrubber.

Dump the canister filter. It's a Nitrate factory.

I did this 7 days ago. I had a canister filter (Magnum 350) I Had Nitrate levels around 15 a week ago.

After one week with the algae scrubber operational, Nitrates are at zero.

IMO I don't really like where your PH is at. I believe most people try to keep it at about 8.0 at the latest. I think mine is 8.1 in my 27, and 8.2 in my 75.

Little-fish, I wasn't really trying to say its okay to have nitrates. I was just trying to point out that everything has been okay with mine around 10, I am personally trying to save up for a biopellet reactor to help with getting them to 0 for myself.

Back