Nitrate??

WWS

Reefing newb
How long with weekly water changes of 10% will the nitrate levels start to drop? My Nitrate level right now is between 15 - 20 mg/L.

It all depends on your bioload and filtration.It may not drop at all.
I don't think anyone will be able to answer your question with certainty.

I do a 1 gallon water change every 3 days in my 12gallon nano and I still sit at 10-40ppm nitrate... most likely due to not having a skimmer.... Just filterfloss..

I have a 29 gallon nanocube with a protien skimmer and no other filtration. should I add a something else like filter floss or a charcoal filter?

I like the filterfloss to help catch the big stuff, but I have heard people say the floss is a great nitrate factory, So I replace it weekly with new stuff...

If you want to add floss/carbon will be alright.Like Mcgyver said replace often so it doesn't become a nitrate trap.

Doing 10% weekly water changes not reducing the nitrate?If not,increase to maybe 15-20%.You mention 15-20 mgs/L nitrate..My test kit reads in ppm,I wondering how much that really is?

You could also have a bad test kit.It wouldnt hurt to take a water sample to your LFS and let them test it just be on the safe side.

In the last 2 years, I've had bad nitrate kits twice. I think it's pretty common to run across bad test kits. Because of this, for nitrate I keep a second test kit on hand, of a different brand. That way if my test results come up looking weird, I can cross check them.

Back