No Hermit Crabs????

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
As always I read through posts all over the internet about CUC and things to look out for.

Well I have always had snails and Hermits mixed in my tank. Never really had a big issue with my Hermits eating my snails or at least I actually did not know they did eat them that much.

Well yesterday I found a wholesaler who sells Nass snails for only 60¢ and the big Mexican(but they are not Mexican) for $1.59. Now I know I have less of a CUC than I need in my opinion so I bought a lot of the Nass and 7 of the large snails.

THis morning I found a large Hermit snacking on one of the new large snails. I tried to save him but I think he is gone. It is still there but I think the round protective shield is gone and maybe a little more.

So this morning I took 6 large hermits out of the tank and tossed them in my Fuge. I tossed one in the skimmer area with my green brittle and one went in the bubble trap and now I cannot get it out. I have a lot of tiny Blue Legs that may be too small to bother the other snails.

Anyone agree not to keep Hermits with the Snails or at least large Hermits. I know the Blue Legs will grow but there is no way for me to have enough large shells to account for them all.

MY OBSERVATIONS
HERMITS
RED LEGS - Never touch a snail
BLUE LEGS - Small but only see them come after a snail is being eaten.
WHITE LEGS - Never touch anything
OTHER LEGS - Large Gray legs always seem to bother snails and other Hermits

I have never seen any of my snails beside the Mexican type being eaten. Most likely because they are near the sand more than the other. I think the Nass are able to escape.

I just feel like never getting another Hermit for the tank besides the tiny Blue Legs and then they will die and their shell gets to small. Save a snail kill a hermit.

COMMENTS?!?!?!?!

Lots of people don't buy hermits for that reason. Several online vendors offer hermit crab-less clean up crews because they tend to go after snails.

I never ever see the White Legs doing anything and typically the Reds either. It is the larger common and then the Blues only after the snail is dead.

I don't mind them in the fuge because the snails tend to get into my return area because I have yet to put up my egg crate divider that works well at stopping them as long as it goes up higher on the ends.

I will probably fish all the commons out and see how it goes. I think the tank will be fine though without them. My Fuge has plenty of food for them for a long time. I move one rock and stuff flies around for a bit. I only have my Carbon Reactor dumping into the Fuge but the rubble rock still gets messy somehow.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of placing all my my hermits in my fuge/sump also...i notice my snail population shrink every week.

I have to say the same thing and I just have the one Large white leg and 10 blue legs and the have quite a few shells to pick from. I see them going after my florida cerith snails and my nerite snails. My nassarius snails they sometime get jumped. its not like they are starved or lack new shells I don't get it but hay they still do there jobs. Once i can I'm going to move them in to my sump once I get my plumbing worked out.

Seems like a plan and I am glad I am not the only one to have the problem. I mean sorry guys but it helps to know I am not alone or going crazy.

I will post again later when I only have whites and blues and reds left. My snails on the glass never disappear. The pointed ones.

Back