no lights = no algae?

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I am very tempted yet very scared to leave my lights off for a day to help kill off some diatoms, bubble algae and this new brown grass like crap I see. My phosban reactor doesn't seem to do squat and my Sera Silicate stuff worked a little then seemed to stop working as well. If I leave my lights off for a day only with some very dim sunlight from across the room will my corals (mainly LPS, two ricordias, and a crocea clam) survive this? I am mostly worried about the clam because I know they like the light. Will one day off even do anything?

One day off will probably not make a difference. Your corals will be fine with a couple days off in a row, and that may help the algae a bit too. Some people say it works, but I've gone a week at a time without a fuge light and my macro in my fuge has had zero light during that time and still did fine.

I think Fatman once said to try running only the actinics for several days,maybe even a week.That's what I would try,one day isn't going make much of dent.The corals will be fine.

thanks for the advice I am gonna try only actinics. Is there such thing as too much phosphate removal? Currently I have my PhosBan Reactor going with the amount recommended for 50gals. I am tempted to put more in there. I am also tempted to add this other phosphate removal stuff into my canister filter. What do you all think?

I use 5x the amount recommend on the package.If I use the recommended amount it wouldn't even fill an inch of the chamber.No harm in using more than needed.

If your using ferric iron I would not worry about using to much at one time. The only harm would be waste. If your using a fluidized filter you might not get a large amount in suspension and still use the low flow recommended with phosphate removers, meaning you really would not gain by using a larger amount at one time when using a fluidized bed. You do want some long contact time that comes with small flow and low velocities to get the most out of a phosphate remover or even carbon regardless of your filter type.

There was a big thread over on RC about going without lights for a few days. The guy had pics to show progress. It works. Now there is no way to know if there were any other circumstances that contributed to his success. He would go no lights except ambient room light for 3 days. I believe he did it once a month for 4-6 months. There was a huge change in his algae. I did it to get hair algae under control in my 75. I noticed the stuff was MUCH easier to pull loose after the lights out treatment. All in all I would say it helps to get an out of hand problem back under control. But it is not a cure all.

Actinic lighting does not support the needs for cyano bacteria specifically. Actinic lighting will to some small degree still support the growth of other green and brown algaes, but little more than ambient room lighting will. It would definitely be appreciated by fish, coral and Coraline algaes. Covering your tank glass with something opaque such as black plastic bags or aluminum foil and not running the lights for three or four days will kill the algae, but you would still need to remove the remnants of the algae and the nutrients released by the dieing algae. Wet skimming, phosphate absorbers and a good siphon hose would work well.

Back