no movement!

rlsdsurfer

Reefing newb
My CUC seems dead! My water params are Ph-8.2-8.4,nitrite 0, nitrate 10ppm, amo, .25 sal 1.026. There is usually movement in the AM. Nothing, Nas, ast, and hermits. I moved the nass to see if it was alive and there was a bit of movement but not the shell. Nothing is moving!

Did you allow your tank to finish cycling before adding a cuc... the ammonia may be poisoning/ slowly killing them. Also, what is your temp at?

Did you allow your tank to finish cycling before adding a cuc... the ammonia may be poisoning/ slowly killing them. Also, what is your temp at?

LFS said it was time for CUC, 5 weeks cycling. They are moving now with my help :) but seem lethargic. Temp is constant 79. I'm going to do another water change today, did a 20% yesterday.

O.K. I think I know what has happened here. In this wall tank I have 2 internal filters that also serve as flow. These are bio and mech filters. They have been in the tank since day one of cycling. Yesterday I cleaned them. In doing so I removed all the GOOD bacteria!! I think. Yesterday Amo. was 0. I've removed the guts of these filters. But I know I very little good bacteria in the main ehiem filter! So what to do? I have added some mysis shrimp to help feed the hermits. NEWBIE mistake... :(

What you need to do is relax and wait for the cycle to complete.
Your cycle is complete when Ammonia is at zero, Nitrites is at zero, and Nitrates are registering. Are you testing for all of these? Do you have plenty of live rock and sand? The bacteria you are worried about is all over these and in the water column.

LFS said it was time for CUC, 5 weeks cycling. They are moving now with my help :) but seem lethargic. Temp is constant 79. I'm going to do another water change today, did a 20% yesterday.

I would never recommend believing what a LFS has to say unless you have a really good relationship with them...i started off this hobby in February and when ever i acted upon the advice of the LFS, regretted it later. :grumble:

how did you start your cycle?

Back