No water change since January 15th

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I did a 50% in the middle of January. I spiked the make up water with cal and mag. I checked the water today and the cal is still well above 400, Ph is normal and my alk is 6 dkh. Trates are fine.

In the past it took about 6 weeks before cal dropped too low. In early January I took about a third of the rock out and dipped it in Hydrogen Peroxide which killed all algae including coralline. I think the cal has stayed high because there is not as much coralline in there eating up the cal. But this is the longest I've ever gone without a water change.

I've read an article on a hobbyist who don't do water changes at all..only dosing. And he has a beautiful, self-sufficient mixed reef.

LOL. I think I last did a water change in... June maybe? :rofl:

But at that point, I got rid of all my corals, only kept my fish and inverts, and I still have my fuge running with a huge amount of chaeto. I've also gotten rid of about 1/2 of my rocks -- the process of tearing down this tank is taking much longer than I expected! I know if I had tried to maintain a reef tank, it wouldn't have worked.

Back