NOBO Question 20 Gal tank

supernatureal

Reefing newb
Hello, I am looking at setting up a 20 Gal saltwater tank and have a question about filteration. Would I be ok to start with the aquarium and a refugium with 50 to 60 pound of live rock. I was looking at using a 10 gal aquarium for the refugium in one half with a 8 inch deap sand bed with cheto. I am limited on space and money to get started, hence only a 20 Gal tank. I already have the tanks. I will be drilling the back of the tank for an over flow. I am only looking at either a couple of clowns or some other small fish with a CUC. Still working on lights. At this time I don't know if I will be going to corals. If I do it wouldn't be untill the tank is stable and set up for awhile.

Thank You,

Greg

One more quick question How much flow should I have flowing through the refugium? I would use powerheads to make up for the rest of the flow.

Hi and welcome! Stick with fish and a clean up crew while you decide on lights. You don't need to add lights until you decide to keep corals. The fish will be fine without expensive lights, so that will give you time to save money, or do whatever you need to do to figure out the lighting part.

Back