Noob Lighting question

breebauer

Reefing newb
I'm sorry if this seems a little stupid, but I just wanted to ask....

I have a 36 watt (2 X 18watt bulbs) corallife pc hood on my tank, and want to add more light. I have a problem because of the size of the top of the tank. I have a 10 gal hex, and I'm having a hard time finding decent lighting that's not MH, under 10 inches long, and within my budget.

I did find another companct hood that would fit next to my existing hood, it's 26 watts (2 X 13 watts).

My question is, with both of these hoods, would I have a total of 62 watts of lighting? Or do I loose some wattage when I use 2 different lights together?

Just checking.... :question:
Thanks!

You would have 62 watts total, they add on to each other. Will they both fit on your tank at the same time?

I would just get a bigger tank

Thanks guys! I'm not too good in the lighting dept.

I actually have 3 other larger tanks. One is set up, and the other is going to be my project for after the holidays, and the other one I'm not sure about.

As far as this tank, I never intended for it to be a reef tank, but now it is, and I'm just trying to get as much lighting on there as possible, without spending a fortune. So I found this other light that would fit, so I'm happy. (The whole hex shape thing is really annoying, but I'm pretty much married to it for now.)

I'm going to go get the other light. Thanks again!

Back