noob SPS questions

So, a couple weeks ago, I got my first SPS...a montipora digi. All was going honky dory until now...it seems that the base of the coral has no polyp extension, and my only guess why would be that the rest of the coral is shading it? Also, on the base of it, there is a little black stub that I assume is just some skeleton, but shouldn't it be white and not black? Some of the main piece is growing over this stub, so I assume it's fine? And one last question...There is a little tube worm growing on one of the branches, and is now being encrusted over...is this all good? There are some SPS gods on this site, and I ain't of 'em :bowdown:

Can you take any pics?
What are your water parameters?
nitrate-
phosphate-
calcium-
alkalinity-
magnesium-

Can't take pics until later, but here are the params:
nitrate-5
phosphate-0
calc-425
alk-10
mag-1250
It's only the bottom half of the coral that seems to be closed, the top half has good extension and has actually grown some.

Your parameters are alright.Alk is borderline high for Montipora,but I dont think its enough to cause your problem.
Check it really good with a magnifying glass.There could be something eating it.

The one thing I did think of is that is it possible that the top of it is shading the bottom? Don't know if that happens with montis, but is it possible? I'll post a pic and look with a magnifying glass in the morning, but could that tube worm that's getting encrusted over be causing problems?

Usually the bottom won't be shaded enough by itself for you to see die-off. I don't think that's it... If it was the tube worm, you could put a dot of super glue in its tube to kill it if you wanted.

Back