Nova Extreme Lighting - Opinions?

Thats a nice light, but the ones with individual reflectors will give you alot more light.

A Tek light will be better, but more expensive. What are you wanting to keep in the tank?

A Tek light will be better, but more expensive. What are you wanting to keep in the tank?

Thanks for the Tek light recommendation...I'll take a look at them. My plan for the tank is to have ALOT of live rock...going to add some base rock first and then start adding in nicer coralline algae covered rock on top of that...I want to have lots of nice corals...in the past I had green star polyps that spread beautifully throughout my tank so I want those and mushroom corals and yellow button polyps to begin with (I think those are all pretty safe "beginner" corals) but I eventually want to add in some different pieces but not exactly sure what yet.

As far as fish...I want to have a firefish, lawnmower blenny, maybe a hawkfish and some sort of tang...lawnmower blenny will probably be the first fish I add...I think they have a lot of character and they are great for controlling any potential algae that might pop up on the base rock.

The nova will keep most corals but a tek will take care of anything you want to add. On the fish list; please do not add any kind of tang. The smallest tang needs a min tank size of 55 gal but I think a 75 would be better. Tangs are known for getting ich and in a 40 gal they will get stressed and have a even better chance of getting it. Tangs are fast swimmers and need alot of room. I don't know much about the hawkfish, so look into it as I thought they were not reef safe, but I could be wrong. A dwarf angle would be good and there are some beuatiful ones out there.

Last edited:
Ok I just looked it up. Hawkfish are reef safe. Some grow large, and some are small. They may be aggressive to bottom dwelling fish, so it might be a bad idea to mix one with a blenny. They eat inverts so feather dusters, worms, and other cleaning crew might be hard to keep, it also says that they can pick hermits and snails right out of their shells.

To be unlimited look at a fixture with individual reflectors.The Nova Extreme Pro and Tek fixture both ham them.The regular Nova Extreme don't but should be goo enough for all the corals you mentioned.Most corals will do fine under them as well.

IMO,hawkfishes are not reef safe.Never in a million years would I put one in a reef environment.Bobby's right about what they eat plus they will eat other fish as well.Sorry,tangs are Ich magnets so a 40g. is way to small for one.

Last edited:
I agree with everybody on the fish list. as far as lighting goes, the nova you are looking at should be fine. I don't think your'e tank is deep enough to worry about needing individual reflectors.

The nova will keep most corals but a tek will take care of anything you want to add. On the fish list; please do not add any kind of tang. The smallest tang needs a min tank size of 55 gal but I think a 75 would be better. Tangs are known for getting ich and in a 40 gal they will get stressed and have a even better chance of getting it. Tangs are fast swimmers and need alot of room. I don't know much about the hawkfish, so look into it as I thought they were not reef safe, but I could be wrong. A dwarf angle would be good and there are some beuatiful ones out there.
Cool...thanks for the tang recommendation...I really just want 3 - 5 smaller sized fish...come to think of it, when I had my 30 breeder years ago, I couldn't keep a blue tang to save my life! I forgot to add that I will most likely add one or two reef shrimp as well

I have the nova extreme and think its great. I would have gotten the nova extreme pro if it was made when I bought though. The Teks are pretty expensive imho, considering you have to buy bulbs on top of that.

from what I been reading on the t-5 thread on rc, the nova extreme pro might as well not come with bulbs. after doing a series of PAR test on this fixture it was discovered that nova has changed something with their bulbs. they never were the best in the world, but they were ok. now the par of the blues are half what they used to be. so if you buy the pro, expect to replace the blue's right away.

Back