Oceanic 14 gallon Algae ?

jrose40

Reefing newb
Can anyone tell me what this green algae looking stuff is on my rock.

DSCN1606.jpg

just looks like some algae to me.. what does your clean up crew look like? a nice mexican turbo snail will clean er up

I have a few good sized nerite snails I thought would do the same as the mexican turbos, but as you can also see I have plenty of cerith snails and blue legged hermits.

around 20 cerith's and 7 blue legged hermits and 4 nerite's. I am running my lights alittle long probably..around 8-11hrs depending on when I get home sometimes.

id wait for someone else to chime in then... im a newb, by no means a professional. just going over the obvious things i can think of.

That is pretty normal for new tanks, especially small tanks. Just keep up with your water changes, dont over feed and dont add anymore fish!

well, you could add another clownfish or some other small fish (I assumed you already had two clowns) but I wouldnt go over two fish in that tank.

But your CUC looks fine for your tank.

I am going to add another clown this weekend was taking things slow. Want to add some mushrooms and feather dusters also but going to wait a few more weeks.

clean up crew. If the clown you have has been in the tank by himself for awhile, make sure you add a clown that is much larger so he wont fight the new addition.

No he hasnt been in there long only about 5 days. I will be getting another one this weekend if the weather is ok, I live just north of Key West so hopefully we dont get hit by much of Rina.

When I had my 14 gallon biocube I struggled constantly with algae. My glass (or acrylic as I've found out), my rocks, it just never looked clean. (oh how I wish I had discovered the magic that is the magnetic cleaner back then) Yours looks pretty darn good to me so I wouldn't worry, and the rocks will take on a patina eventually. I never knew if my issue was the fact that I was feeding flakes (boo) or that my rocks were super close to the lights, or that I didn't have enough snails.
Personally, I wouldn't run the lights over 7 hours, when I cut mine back a bit I noticed some improvement.
I added another clown too late in my 14 gallon and they never got along. It was pretty bad actually. So, as long as your tests are good, (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites) I'd add another clown quickly. If you want a pair.

Back