Ocean's 20g Nano

My hermits are very lazy, i have blue legged hermits, and they really just roam, dont chow down on much (that i see) but they are very interesting none the less.

Did u acclimate them correctly? Snails I usually acclimate. Hermits should be ok with a bag float for 10-15 min. if everything starts dieing I'd be worried but one or two I wouldn't worry.

The cloudiness is starting to go away slowly i think. All the other hermits and the snail look good now and appear to be just fine. They are all actively eating and moving. I think that the cloudiness may have came from adding the bottle of copepods.

Tank is looking good, getting back to crystal clear again. Thinking I need something for cleaning/shuffling the sand around. Any ideas?

+1 Brian.....and if u dont wanna view the cloudy tank do it at night before u go to sleep.....When i was dosing i did it at night because of that same issue.

Check it out!!! Still working on the names lol

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

And with my moon light led on:

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Been in there for a couple days now. Looking healthy and active. Readings since adding the fish are:

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 1-2.5 ppm
PH 8.2

The two clowns are awesome and are a great pair. They have an insane appetite but I only feed them 1-2 times a day and they get about 2 mysis shrimp each which have to be chopped up into pieces small enough for them. They are already trained that they come up and just eat the pieces out of the eye dropper as they are released into the water. I do like this because I think it cuts down on the amount of food that escapes into the water.

I think I am ready to start adding some corals to the place to get some color in there. Any particular websites that you all have experience from that are good?

Also I am running a T5 HO with two 24 w bulbs atm giving me 48 watts over 20 gallons. I was thinking about picking up another since it would fit nicely on the tank meaning I would be running 96 watts over 20 gallons. I am assuming this would be plenty for softies and lps. Any thoughts on that idea? Dont plan on doing any sps. Also for doing lps does any have any experience with calcium dosing on smaller tanks or should weekly water changed take care of it? Thanks

They look great! And that is a good feeding plan!

I would try and find corals locally, either from other reefers or lfs. It gets really expensive ordering online because of shipping costs. But some good ones are Mr. Coral, liveaquaria, and a few others. Check out the vendor section to look at what other people thought of their online order. And i think doubling the light should be great for your tank and let you keep anything you wish.

And regular water changes will be more than enough to replace everything the corals remove from their growth. I highly doubt you will need to dose anything. But if you do decide to dose, make sure you are testing what you dose to 1. make sure you actually need to do so 2. prevent overdoses which can be very deadly.

No dosing small tanks. Water changes will be fine. And I have 48w over my mantis tank. If u want to keep harder lps like acans I'd get anoter fixture. My zoa's and softies are jus barely getting enough light...

K so today I picked up a blood cleaner shrimp who is currently at a cave at the back and I am unable to get a pic atm. I think he is doing fine tho from what I can see of him. I also picked up this torch coral frag. When I put it into the tank it slowly opened back up and extended itself even more than it was at the LFS. The first pictures show this. It is now retracted back into its skeleton. I am not sure the reason for this. Maybe its just getting used to the light and the lighting schedule perhaps? I know my lights go later than the LFS by a few hours. I also added another T5 48 w light so I am now rocking 2 fixtures giving me 96 watts over 20 gallons. I am also going through another algae stage this one with light green colored algae that grows quite fast on the front glass and rocks. I figured this was part of the algae cycle all new tanks go through and it should slow down with time. I should also be getting chaeto soon. I have checked all parameters and all are great. Nitrate has been below 5 for about a week now, I would say its closer to 2.5 or less even. Any answers to any of these questions would be helpful or any advice on the torch coral. Never had a torch before. All other tank inhabitants are doing great and are extremely active.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

K. I guess my concern is if its normal for torch corals to occasionally retract. Or do they only retract if something is wrong?

Yep I actually first thought that one of my clumsy crabs probably fell on it. I also noticed that it was releasing a brown string from both of its mouths. I did a little more research on the internet and several other people had been asking the same question. Apparently it is simply going through a stage where it expells waste. Or in other words is using the bathroom and taking a dump. Thanks for the help tho. Much appreciated. Still a bit concerned about the algae bloom even with 0-2.5 nitrates. Im still assuming a symptom of being a new tank tho.

Ah, yes, everything poops!

I wonder if corals get parasites that you can find in there feces. Ill have to look at some the next time one of them pooos

hahahaha if you could see those parasites you have amazing eyes!

All tanks will go through blooms of algae at the beginning. As long as you keep doing water changes it will eventually stop and will become a whole lot more stable.

Back