Ocean's 20g Nano

Lol. Yes the torch closed up again overnight but I think its sill just being fussy since coming into a new home. I have also noticed a couple hermit crabs that I thought were dead but I have since noticed no empty shells in the tank and I can still find more alive than there should be if they died. I did some research and found out marine hermits do molt. This was new to me, I had never known this.

Well my clowns are hangin out very close to the torch coral now. Is that a type that they may end up hosing? It seems like that type of coral. And the algae bloom is still going on which is kinda frustrating me. I know its part of the tank cycle I just hate yellow/green tint it gives to the tank. Supposed to be getting some chaeto soon which I'm hoping will help. Also thinking about looking into an algae scrubber if I dont get chaeto but I have such a small space in my cabinet and sump. Anyone have any experience with a nano sized scraper?

I think a few people have small scrubbers, and really, every little bit counts IMO so small is better than nothing. Dont lose heart, it will get better!

And yes, clowns will host LPS corals like torches. Just becareful that they dont love it so much they kill it.

A Torch coral was like my first coral that I got and my clowns hosted it soooo quickly. Looks good to have them moving over it in the tank. Took them 2months and the removal of the torch to get them to take the anoemone. Now they host all 3 in my tank haha. Bad for territorial reasons ;)

You make a scrubber of any size. IT all depends on how much water is flowing over it to how big the scrubber is.

Alright so I have been battling the green film algae which I am attributing to my tank being newer. But i think I am making progress because the growth on the glass has noticeably slowed down over the last week. I have just been doing water changes every other day and I am now running Chaeto! I did let the algae grow on the sides and back of the glass but I have been scraping the front. I was using the sides and back as a gauge to if it was spreading or receding. I am glad I did because I noticed today that looking at the glass I have PODs!!!! They are feeding on the macro film algae I'm assuming. No wonder my clowns don't seem to be as hungry, they have been feasting all day on copepods. I knew the male was picking at something off the rocks but I didn't think I'd have them already.

Also noticed my skimmer wasn't working as well so I looked up the user manual for the EV 120 and noticed it was sitting to low in the water. Went to Lowes and built a stand to raise it a bit. Hopefully later today it will be operating more efficiently. LFS gets a new shipment in today so I'll likely be posting picks later of hopefully some new bomb corals.

Very good!

But i cant think of a single person who doesnt have that green film algae growing on the glass that requires frequently cleaning, so dont get too concerned about it.

Okay so I know I am winning the green film algae on glass battle. It is now only coming in on the middle of the front glass where the light is highest. I'm fine with algae in my tank I was just tired of having to clean the glass 1-2 times a day. I have the chaeto in my fuge but I noticed that it was actually dying, turning clear and breaking apart and releasing alot of small particles in my tank. I did some research and I think my problem was water flow. I will double check my lights and but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. If not water flow I was thinking I may not have enough nutrients for it. But even a lack of nutrients I did not think would cause it to die.

So I built this makeshift tumbler to see if the problem was water flow. In the small space I added a small powerhead and used some leftover plyable acrylic. Hoping this will work. I had to sacrifice about 1.5 lbs of live rock in my small fuge section but I think the nutrient export from the chaeto will outweigh this. The pics make it hard to see how it works so check out the video.

YouTube - ‪My Movie‬‏

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Last edited:
Aside from my chaeto problem however my tank is doing great. I created a DIY stand for the skimmer because it was sitting to low in the water and now it is working like a beast. I have had some new additions which include a fire shrimp, glaxy coral frag, and a marble star. I know stars are supposed to be harder and in more mature tanks but I have loved marbles and never seen them at the fish stores here so when I saw it I had to have it. He's doing great tho. In terms of water parameters tank is solid with 0's across the board. I feed only once a day and have a very small cleanup crew which consists of 1 turbo and 8 small hermits. At the moment I do not feel I need any more since I am seeing a decrease in algae growth and no buildup of detritus or other nussince algae. The stock is relatively simple beside the CUC with two clowns, fire shrimp, marble star, torch frag and galaxy frag. both corals are growing and extending fully all the time to and the clowns are noticeable growing to. Also seeing a pod explosion which is why I have reduced feeding to once a day instead of twice. Will be posting more pics later after tank clears up. A bit cloudy since rearranging the sump to make the algae tumbler.

Also if anyone has any questions about the construction the simple algae tumbler I can make a post for the specs and how to make it. Its very simple. Also message me if you need a specific specs tailored to your fuge.

K so my tank is doing good. However for about a week now its been kinda cloudy and milky. the skimmer also isn't working so this leads me to think that this could be a bacterial bloom that has resulted since I moved the 1-2 lbs of live rock. Problem is water changes can't resolve this because the bacteria reproduce to fast. All of my parameters are in check and all tank inhabitants are doing great. The only problem is the water clarity. Anyone have any ideas or experience with a way to get rid of this bacterial bloom.

It will burn itself out. Kinda annoying, but it will happen! Try and cut down on feeding and the light schedule to lessen the nutrients for it to grow from.

Back