ocellaris clown behavior

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I have had two Ocellaris clowns for a month or so now. They love eachother. Ones a little bigger than the other. I have noticed to bigger one how near the smaller one and curves and vibrates its body and then acts normal. The smaller one has no reaction to the other fish shaking at him lol. I was just wondering what she is doing? I'm guessing the bigger is a she and smaller a he. I think she is trying to "woo" him? Any ideas anyone? Thanks :)

The shaking is him being submissive. The bigger one probably hasnt completely turned female yet so the other one is showing his submission to the dominate male who will become female.

sounds like they are getting all ready to get it on! Are they fanning an area in the tank, like a corner. Our clowns nest in the same area all the time. They will probably mate up.

Maybe, i highly doubt it though. Even if they display all the behaviors it takes most clowns years to pair up, mate and lay eggs.

And how big is the size difference? They might still be close enough that there is no obvious winner and are trying to sort that out.

One is about two inches the other maybe a little more than an inch. I can Deff tell the diff between size. The bigger one is black the small one orange. As soon as I got them they were instantly bff's lol they are always together never fighting or nipping just hanging out. They aren't fanning any place. I have noticed the small one kinda just swims around while the bigger one is very...protective of the small one. For example when I put my hand in the tank today to rearrange corals the big one charged my hand and even bit me a couple times. I think it was trying to protect the small one? It always stick close to the small one. If the small one wanders away the big one will zip right back over to it. It's so funny to watch. Maybe the big one wants to pair up bit the small one hasn't matured and doesn't know what's going on yet? It's very interesting to watch. I wish I knew just what is going on tho.

+1 little_fish. If it's a vibration-type shaking (full body, and not just fanning the tail back and forth) it's a submissive behavior.

So our male is submissive to the female, his mate, that has eggs all the time? Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Yep, the woman is the boss. As usual! :lol:

So I'm confused. At the store we have a pair of blk clowns, they have eggs all the time, and "Clownfish Bob" takes the eggs and raises the fry.

Our fish act like she is describing, so will her fish become a mated pair?

I think you mean, as usual the man is only letting the woman think she's the boss so he can get some.

The male typically tends to the eggs after the female lays them. The male will guard them and fan them with his tail.

It took my pair of clowns 4 years together before they started mating -- and they were paired up the whole time. They were just practicing sound family planning! :D

My bigger one would be the female. And she is the one doing the body shaking towards the male...so she's being submissive towards him? He doesn't seem to even notice her yet. I mean he does bc he likes to hang with her butcher doesn't react to the vibrating at all.. hes like..eh whatever haha

Back