octopus bh-100f setup

2fastlx

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, I just got this skimmer for a 46 bowfront I am starting and I am a little confused on a few things. The instructions that came with this are horrible, and the directions seem like they are written by a first grader. Anyway, here is a pic of what it looks like right now. I know one air hose goes to the hard blue tube, but Im not sure about the other. There are two silcencers and a valve that I have no idea where they go. Can anyone give me a hand?

DSCF0766.jpg

DSCF0762.jpg

I just got a very similar model. I hear you on the instructions. WOW. The silencer goes on the end of the air hoses, on the end outside of the water. On the inside of the silencer is a longer tube. Hook the air line up with the one that has the long tube on the inside. (hooked up on the outside of course) Then just recap it. Hope that helped. Oh and if you can tell me where the hell that blue "bubble stopper" goes, I would appreciate it. (BTW, I'm not very good at explaining things in technical terms, so sorry if my description is confusing :smile:)

I just got the bh-100ss, i guess mine is a little simpler becuase I could discern how to put it together somewhat easier. The instructions mine came with have the blue sponge sitting over the return pipe in the tank. I'll probably replace that spine with a filter sock because that sponge takes up way too much room

I got it up and running, thanks for the replies. Im not understanding where to put the silencers due to the fact that I would have to remove the air valve on one hose, and the other hose needs to attach to the blue tube. If I remove the air valve, the pump sucks way too much air and cavitates. It does blow considerable amounts of bubbles in the tank from the return, but I left that bulky sponge off. I am going to do what BL1 suggested and get a small sock to slip over the return.

Here's a couple of things that might help, 1. the airline to the blue tube, take it off, it needs to be connected to it only when you arre starting it up or restarting after stopping. it is prefectly normal for the skimmer to blow bubbles into the tank for the first couple of days, turn the return elbow towards the back wall, this seems to help. 2 take the blue sponge out completely, you don't need it. 3 i used airline values instead of the silceners, better control of the air being sucked into the pump. hope this helps

I finally got mine set up but, it's sending an obscene amount of bubbles into the display, I can't imagine that it's normal for it to do that for a couple of days.

I finally got mine running alright after messing with it for hours. I actually OPENED the air valve more and am getting little to no bubbles in the tank. I get a steady flow of larger bubbles coming out due to the water level in the return chamber being slightly lower than the return opening.

I recently purchased the Octopus BH-100F. Your posting is the only one I could find that matched mine (it seems like they have several revisions of this skimmer).

Like you, I have two clear tube air intakes for the pump and a separate white valve. Right now I have one air intake hooked up to the blue tube and the other to the silencer. The white valve isn't being used. Do you (or anyone else with a revision of the skimmer like this) know if this is the correct set up? It seems to be working OK but it's not skimming much after a few days.

Thanks!

Mine only came with the clear tube going to the silencer so I can't help you there. How long has your tank been setup and how big of a bioload do you have in your tank? It may just be that you don't have enough crap in there for the skimmer to pull out yet.
Make sure you have your collection cup set high for the first few weeks while the skimmer gets broken in.

It's an excellent skimmer. It's a pita to restart, but otherwise, it kicks the ass out of my Vertex. (though that might have something to do with the fact that the vertex is too big for my tank :P )

Back