Octopus Skimmer setting ????

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
OK i have the Octopus EXT 160 my tank is new 1week into cycle, when i plugged skimmer in i left the adjustment tube turned slightly past the full open position so it was not completley wide open, it started to pull a little stuff 2 days ago now the bubbles are lower than the cup but inside the cone, is this normal ?? how do you set this tube in the open/closed position what to look for when adjusting it???

Last edited:
i cant belive with all the people that talk about how awesome the Octopus is cant comment on their experience setting one of these for someone new to skimmers, im just wanting to know what to look for when setting this so i know if im doing right or wrong ????

You have virtually no bioload in a cycling tank, so your skimmer is not going to pull anything out of the system, also it has to break in, which will take a few weeks.

Set the open/close tube so the bubbles are about 3/4 up the tube for now, but you will adjust that as it breaks in. Don't look for much skimmate till your bioload builds up and the skimmer breaks in.

i have to second the rookie on this one...

my octo skimmer took nearly 3 weeks to really "break in" and settle down so that the adjustments to the bubble height would stay stable... heck, i even fiddle with it on occasion now to adjust it up or down a bit depending on how much i've fed, and what-not...

Back