Octopus Skimmer

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
I have a large Octopus skimmer connected to my system that's been running very well for the last 3 years. However, it RARELY pulls out much of anything, and I don't need to clean it very often at all. Since I have huge quantities of LR in my tank and sump, and a variety of CUC, do I really NEED to keep this skimmer running?

I'd say not. I eventually disconnected my giant Octopus skimmer from my 90 gallon tank. It was the skimmer I used on my 240, and was rated for 300+ gallons, so it was kind of overkill for my 90.

I had a 40 gallon fuge filled with rock and chaeto, and I believe at some point, the tank became self sufficient, relying on the fuge for water quality. My skimmer just stopped pulling gunk, and my water parameters were great. I disconnected the skimmer and for the last year and a half that I had the tank skimmerless, it did fine (I just recently got rid of the tank).

I think the more "mature" and established a tank gets, the less you need to rely on outside methods of filtration like skimmers.

Thanks for the feedback! In that case, will be dismantling it with the next water change. should see a small reduction in the constant hum of equipment, heat trandfer of the pump, and barely measureable energy consumption. :bounce:

Back