Octopus Skimmers

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

I just ordered an in-sump Octopus skimmer, I believe the 110, that is rated for 90 gallons. The guy at my LFS said the Octopus skimmers were garbage. This of course after I have had three ASM skimmers not work correctly. Is this guy right or is he just wrong? He said he ordered five about a year and a half ago and they all sucked.

Thanks for the info and advice!

~RC

My LFS runs Octopus skimmers on all of their display tanks and highly recommend one. I've been using a recirculating Octopus on my 240 since I started it up in September and love it. Definitely a good value for the quality you get. Of course, there are higher quality skimmers out there, but the price difference does not seem worth it to me. I stand by Octopus as one of the best and most affordable skimmer brands out there.

My LFS runs Octopus skimmers on all of their display tanks and highly recommend one. I've been using a recirculating Octopus on my 240 since I started it up in September and love it. Definitely a good value for the quality you get. Of course, there are higher quality skimmers out there, but the price difference does not seem worth it to me. I stand by Octopus as one of the best and most affordable skimmer brands out there.

He said the design was fine, but their pumps suck. I just think he is a little upset I didn't want to try yet another ASM.

I am using the pump that came with mine and am happy with it. Even if the pump does suck, it's a lot cheaper to buy a replacement pump (less than $100) than a new ASM skimmer!

They are great although I don't own one.They are really the best bang for the buck when it comes to skimmers.There are hundreds of threads on here and other forum raving about those Octopus skimmers.A very good LFS in Nashville has switch over there propagation tanks to Octopus which was using Euro-Reef before.I haven't read one thread mentioning the pumps sucks.

There are a couple other good options for good bang for the buck. The DAS series of skimmers, the SWC series are both awesome skimmers that have been producing good results.

You'll find that most LFS are going to push the most expensive equipment they have.They will tell you whatever it takes to steer you away from quality equipment,just so they make more money.

Back