Odd Oily Sheen in Water on 29

KarenJax

Certified Master Stylist
I put the stray star in my 29 and now there is an oily sheen on top of the water. I'm going to do a water change today but this is sort of my theory: that star was trapped in a crab trap in the basin for who knows how long? I think he is excreting the pollutants (oil,gas,etc) that he was subjected to. Could I be right or am I totally off base?

Might be. But I think you could get it off the water by laying a paper towel on the top layer and letting it soak it up. I had something kinda like that on my water and that is how i got rid of it. You might have to do it a couple of times

If you don't have enough flow in the tank, you will get an oily build up on the surface of the water. I doubt it is actual "oil" from pollution though. Hannah's paper towel method works well.

If you don't have enough flow in the tank, you will get an oily build up on the surface of the water. I doubt it is actual "oil" from pollution though. Hannah's paper towel method works well.

+1 Biff and Hannah...it's generally caused by the food you're using. Move the power head toward the surface of the water to get it back into the water column. Or use the papertowel.

When I see any crud on the surface water, I take a paper cup and tilt it so it collects much of the surface water.

Back