Ok, I am not going to be able to get/build a sump before I set my new tank up

nensley

Reefing newb
I am getting it on Sunday and there is no way I can buy or build a sump for it before then. So, it is going to run without it. On my 29 I have a nice skimmer and about 30 lbs of live rock with 2 power heads. On the 55 gallon, I can use my same skimmer, and I will add it some more live rock over the next couple of months. I can't buy all the LR right now because I first have to buy new lights. So what other kind of filtration, if any, do I need for now. She said she has 2 emperor filters on it right now. Don't know if those are worth a flip or not. Also what else do I need to add for water movement? Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help you have given me! Couldn't do it without you! :D

you can buy a little live rock and then buy all the rest dead rock and it will seed in your tank and all be live rock eventually, and dead rock is about half the price per pound, also if the tank is drilled i dont know how you will be able to keep water in the tank with out it going through the overflows

you can buy a little live rock and then buy all the rest dead rock and it will seed in your tank and all be live rock eventually, and dead rock is about half the price per pound, also if the tank is drilled i dont know how you will be able to keep water in the tank with out it going through the overflows

It is not drilled.

Run the emperors untill you can set up a sump.Just rinse the cartridges out every week or so and replace them once a month.Thats how I ran my 30gal.Also started my 55 with emperors,then up-graded to a sump.
And Dustins right about the rock.Use ,say,75% dry lace rock and finish off the last 25% with live.$1.50 a pound sure beats $12.00 a pound any day.

Get a CPR HOB refugium.

This is the one I have. It has a built in skimmer:
http://www.cprusa.com/products/aquafugeps.html

Works like a champ on my 30g tank. I believe it's rated for up to 75g tanks. If it's too much work and not enough time to get the sump ready, maybe consider the HOB type refugium? You could keep the skimmer you already have in your 30g and use the built in skimmer on the refugium for the 55g tank. I've heard people poo-poo these types of skimmers and say they are no good. Mine works DAMN GOOD. I empty my cup about every 3--5 days.

You don't HAVE to use a sump. But it sure makes life easier over the long haul. You can run the tank now and get a sump or HOB refugium later. No big deal.

I would go ahead and set tank up and buy some base rock. You have plenty LR to seed it. You can run the filters but clean them weekly. Depending on your bio load you may not need them. You can add the sump later.

If you have the space set up the tank so a sump can be added behind the tank rather than under/in the stand. Once the DT is up and running cramming one in the stand and plumbing it out will require some contortionist skills especially if the DT is against a wall. Not impossible just a pain in the rear.

It will also mean that any plumbing or bulkhead leaks from a hang on overflow will drip harmlessly back into sump and easily fixed. Also if the sump is behind and up off the ground water can be siphoned directly from it for water changes. A garden hose can be used to run the water directly out the back door. A back saver and allow for a easy emptying and complete cleaning of the sump every so often. You could even go as far as to add a bulkhead at top of sump or overflow on the sump that is directed into a container allowing for a complete filling of the sump and added water volume. In case of power outage excess water will go to this container instead of overflowing the sump.

Last edited:
Back