OK, I'm dumping the canister, now what?

Yep that guy from Gainesville is DonnyHolland here on Living Reefs. He's a nice guy. Him and his wife were generous enough to have let me stay with them at their house when I have visited Chattanooga before.

I think it strange the number of people that visit Alaska, but Chattanoga, I can see being there if you were born there as you have no choice as to where you are born. But to visit there. Isn't that in Tennessee. Isn't that like a poverty stricken state or something? No offense intended really, I have not been to the lower fourty eight states since 1972. What is in Chattanooga? Serious, I don't know.

My wife's family lives in Chattanooga, and yes, it is in Tennessee. Chattanooga has some very interesting history and places to visit. We visited Lookout Mountain, explored caves and saw Ruby Falls, a huge waterfall within the mountain, whose water source is still unknown to this day. We went to the Aquarium and discovery museum as well as taking a ride on the Chattanooga Choo Choo.

For us Floridians, who live in heat all year long and enjoy a very FLAT environment, it was a pleasure to see mountains and enjoy some cool weather.

I have been to Alaska as well, on a cruise to Vancouver. I did white water rafting from a glacier, Salmon fishing, etc. It was a good time.

I think it is important for all Americans to visit as much of this Country as they can. We have so much history and interesting culture right in our backyards, that it's a shame not to explore it. Next year, Grand Canyon & Yellowstone with the family. I am a firm believer in giving my kids, 7 & 3, a treasure trove of wonderful childhood memories rather than have them lead a sheltered existence like so many of their schoolmates.

Ok, let me get off my soapbox now! :-)

glad you got to meet donny, he has built a great store, the best one we have around here. when did you pass through chattanooga? donny told me he had some people from florida that had come by and bought some corals and were gonna pick them up when they left to go home. was that you? its a small world isnt it!

and chattanooga is a very popular place to visit and live! and I have never heard anything about chattanooga being poverty stricken? thats new to me. We have Ruby falls, rock city,lost sea, chattanooga aquarium (new saltwater aquarium), chattanooga choo choo, chattanooga lookouts, discovery museum, new River walk, and plenty of site seeing.

Nothing personal about the south or Tennesse, but I was raised during a period of time when riots and poverty was what the south was known for. I hear very little about the southern parts of America in Alaska, so I have no idea what it is like now. Only the bias version that I was taught as a child. About all that makes it to the news up here is the west coast, and I have spent at least half of the last thirty years without radio or TV reception. With my parents as a child I visted at least 25 states and 6 different countries, but no states in the south. I grew up in a very racially devided time and people where and when I grew up literally feared the south. Since turning eighteen I have been only four places. Texas (San Antonio for military training), Madigan Army Hospital in Tacoma Wahington, Viet Nam and Alaska. I must admit when it comes to anything good about the states other than Alaska I know little. The news programs are good for putting bad news on the air not good, so unfortunitely all I here is the bad news. I in genearl do not read magazines unless they are tecnical in nature which does not help. All my books are, manuals, text books or reference books. Like I have repeatedly said I am a social misfit.

Last edited:
That's OK fatman......
I know it must be tough living in an igloo and eating salmon all day (joke).
You should travel out of Fairbanks and come see the rest of your wonderful Country. I have been all around Alaska, even Fairbanks, and find it to be a wonderful place. Even one of my very best friends is a doctor who has worked and lived in Fairbanks for the past 4 years.
I hope you have the opportunity to travel and cast away some of your preconceptions about things, it's a wonderful feeling to open your mind to new and different things... YOU SOCIAL MISFIT! :-)

Ya, Come visit the south, it really isnt as bad as you think! I can give you a tour of Chattanooga! Guaranteed to not have any gun shots or muggings! HEHE!

I absolutely love the south I was stationed in South Carolina and Georgia its just entirely too hot for me! Heat sickness is a bitch! The cities suck IMO but im a country boy anyway you cut it that being said, I want to go on permanent vacation to Alaska, so much solitude and beautiful wildlife and wide open spaces!

The South is awesome. The people are great, food is fantastic, and weather, while hot, is incredible. The winters here in NY get too cold for my taste.

By the way, my brother lives in Anchorage. I doubt he will ever live anywhere but in Alaska.

The national news in Alakaska tonight, many gang and non gang shootings in Chicago and some guy driving at full speed unto a subway entrance killing and injring others. The only good news is Doony and Marie Osmand sign a deal for a Las Vegas show. Is that really good news? Oh, yeah, and once again Police found inniocent of murder. Even the one who emptied 15 shots from his weapon, reloaded and emptied it again was found innocent of wrong doing. Ansd some guy down there is going around to all the schools suggesting that all citizens arm themselves against the gang members. That the problem lies entirely with the gang members existance and not in any way with the proliferation of hand guns. I think I will still just think about broadinging my horizons as they relate to seeing more of our country. Even being old doesn't provide any safety anymore, they will now even beat you down for your SS check or bag of groceries.

Fatman, If you listen to the media as your only source of information rather than experience it first hand, you might as well stay indoors the rest of your life. Media makes their business by "shocking" newsworthy events. You will NEVER hear anything good or decent on the news, because people in general don't like to hear good news, it is not exciting to them.

Make certain when you travel you don't go to the inner city with diamonds, gold and cash hanging off you and I think you will survive a trip to the lower 48.

I can say with complete honesty, that in my 34 years, I have never been a victim of any crime against person or property.

Here are some news items you may not have seen on Alaskan TV news :

90 Year Old Man Saves Toddler In Daring Escalator Rescue
Newark cabbie gets city medal for returning $4M violin
Columbia U worker leaps across three tracks to save much larger man

These are just (3) recent ones I remembered. I'm sure you haven't heard of any of them, which is a very unfortunate reflection of the media.

If you come to Florida Fatman, I will extend to you an offer to show you around for a few days with confirmation you will not be mugged, raped or killed (in no specific order of course). Take care.

I agree with biff.....kinda. The Aqua C remora pro is a kick ass skimmer for a HOB, in fact it's what I'm running and I'm very happy with it. However, if you are a rich kinda guy and money is not an issue.......the Deltec MCE600 is even better!

I found my remora pro noisy as hell, but within two weeks it was quiet.....

Back