Old Moe's build

Old_Moe

Reefing newb
After being a fly-on-the-wall on this forum ( non stop reading and taking notes ), I think I am ready to get started.I am going to be building a Fish Only with Live Rock ( FOWLR ). I am going to try to keep track of what I am putting into this so others can use this as a guesstimate for their own build. I will try to add definitions to acronyms too, soo many to learn, yikes. :shock:

I got a 46g bowfront DT ( Display Tank ) with stand and another 29g tank ( for free ),, woo woo doing the “ickey shuffle” :bounce: … as you read on you will see that nothing is for nothing… haha, it's all good though.

Well... when I picked up the 46g DT is was nasty nasty nasty. Has all sorts of gunk on the glass. I think water was left in it since we stepped foot on the moon, teeh heeh. No big deal…Thanks to the good folks here, just need some white vinegar and water to clean it up ( hopefully).

And then… there it was… oh rat farts ( from cadyshack ).. a busted center brace on the top of the tank. After thinking about it for awhile and reading here that this is an essential part of the support system I needed to come up with a fix. I decided to use some plexi-glass ( qtr inch thick ) to brace it. I also used some plastic bolts/washer/nuts/silicon to secure it.

Right now I am just water testing both tanks, so far so good. How long should I test the water for?

Purchased so far:
White Vinegar: $0.89 ( Stop and Shop )
Algae scrubber sponge: $1.99 ( Local Fish Store )
Plexi-glass ( 18”x24” ): $18 will use rest for sump

Shopping list:

HOB ( hang on Back ) overflow from Lifereef
http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html Single $119.00
also plan on picking up:
Lifereef Silencer $19.00
2- Spare Siphon Tubes $13.00 ( I am alittle clumsy :cheerful: )
2- Return J-Tube $12.00 ( spares, same as above )
Foam filter block, 3 pack: $24.00

Skimmer Octopus XP1000 Space Saver $295 from Marine Depot ( free shipping )
Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (110 Gallon) Internal Cone Protein Skimmer

Still need to research options for: heaters/pumps/powerheads/ and I am sure lots of other stuff.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your help... I enjoy doing lots of research... so I think I am in good company. I want to make sure that this is done right the first time.. since there isn't a second chance when dealing with living creatures!

Attachments

• IMG_7609_sm.JPG
    IMG_7609_sm.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_7610_sm.JPG
    IMG_7610_sm.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_7618_sm.JPG
    IMG_7618_sm.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_7624_sm.JPG
    IMG_7624_sm.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
for a heater i recommend getting one that is compleatly submersible and that is over rated for the tank... i.e. get something rated @ 75 gallons to account for the tank & sump and just to be sure. Also it never hurts to get 2 of them. one for back up. For your water circ, i use koralia evolution pumps and they are really great and reasonably price. i have 2x 550gph in my tank and i wish i had a little more, it moves the water but i have 1 or 2 dead spots. so in a 46+29 sump i'd go with something like a 1050 and a 750 or something similar, maybe a 1050 and 550 and overflow. a mag 7 should be enough to circulate the 600 gph the overflow is draining, depending on your overhead. Lights shouldent really have to be crazy sense your doing a fowlr. I ordered my Live Rock from marco rocks (MarcoRocks Aquarium Products) he sells some really great stuff and is a real great guy. he can hook you up with some great stuff for a good price too... if you get a bunch of live rock you can grab some dry aragonite sand and the LR will turn it live in no time. or you can seed a bit from a local reefers tank. Depending on where you are in NJ there are a ton of local reef clubs in the lower area towards phily FYI

Thanks to all! I am in North East Jersey and it seems like Absolutely Fish on Rt 46 is a good place.

for the powerheads, do I put on each side creating whirlpool action? Seems like I should go with 2- 750's then. Marine Depot has the Koralia Evolution for $35.99.

For pumps I am looking at the Lifeguard Quiet-one 780gph

I am lost on lighting, still reading the other threads. ( I might want to add some coral in a year or so... once I get everything nailed down ), so I want to make sure what ever light I get is capable of doing FOWLR now, and maybe a piece or two of coral in the future.

If you're even contemplating doing corals you might as well take the plunge now and get reef safe fish and inverts and reef capable lighting. Easier to make the decision now and plan for it....

Looks like you are off to a good start. I dont know about you but I always love taking peoples things that need work and seeing the beautiful things I can turn them into. You are doing a great job!!

Hello!

I would suggest going to reef route with a tank that small. Most of the cool FOWLR fish require huge tanks, and you cant keep that many fish in the smaller tanks either. But you can make a stellar reef with just a little bit of space! Plus many corals are easier than fish IMO

But it looks like you are off to a great start!

Hi Moe

In my tank i have one Koralia 3, and Koralia 1075 or something like that. I cant quite remember the specs right now. I also have a maxijet 1200 with a return that pumps around 300 gph. Really, as long as your sand isnt flying around you dont have too much flow. Im thinking about adding another powerhead to the left side of my tank, the problem is its just a little cramped back there.

I have a 4 bulb t5 fixture, but i really wish i had gotten a 6 bulb fixture. Most of my rocks came as dry rocks from marcorocks.com. They have awesome looking rocks and you cant beat their prices.

For filtration i have an algae scrubber which i really like, but some people prefer the refugium and protein skimmer combo. I cannot fit anything but a 5 gal bucket in my stand, so the algae scrubber works best for me.

Really, the key to this hobby is to go slow and research a lot. I started out with seahorses, but due to my inexperience and lack of funds, it turned out horribly. But i love my reef and wouldnt trade it for the world. It took a ton of time to get where it is now, but its totally worth it.

I have a 4 bulb t5 fixture, but i really wish i had gotten a 6 bulb fixture.

I am now rethinking doing the FOWLR and maybe heading in your direction. your tank is very inspirational!

do you have a link to your current 4bulb?

and since I dont have a light yet, what are you looking at as far as a 6 bulb fixture?

I was looking at this one http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...nPower_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI

The 6-bulb 36"wide is almost $600 ouch!

thank you!

Ya, good lights are expensive, but dont skimp. I cant seem to find the light i bought, i was cheap and went with a 4 bulb fixture, but i really wish i had gotten the 6 bulb. I feel like i dont have enough light for nems, some clam and SPS species. Its not all that limiting, I could probably get a bubble tip or place the other corals/clam higher up, but still . . . i dont want to buy a creature unless i know i can properly care for it for its entire life.

This is a awesome light and will let you keep anything you want:
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro T-5 Fixtures

I think you can find it cheaper elsewhere, i just have that page bookmarked. But it has all the stuff want to look for in a light, enough bulbs and individual reflectors for each bulb.

thanks. found it on Amazon for $309.99

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nova-Extreme-Pro-Lighting-Fixture/dp/B0017UB3GW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317673417&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: 36 in. Nova Extreme Pro T5 HO Lighting Fixture - (6) 39 watt lamps: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

ok, so before I start... What happens at LivingReefs.com stays at LivingReefs.com right? :hernoseen

holy See Are A Pee! Just placed some equipment orders:

Purchased so far:
White Vinegar: $0.89 ( Stop and Shop )
Algae scrubber sponge: $1.99 ( Local Fish Store )
Plexi-glass ( 18”x24” ): $18 will use rest for sump
From Marineandreef.com
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit $26.50
Eheim Aquarium Heater, 250 Watt $26.28 each ( picked up a spare too )
Hydor Koralia Evolution 550 gph $30.99
Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 gph (2) $32.99 each
AquaticLife 36" T5 HO 6 Lamp Fixture w/ Lunar Lights (w/ Free Set of Replacement Bulbs) $469.99 ( comes with free set of spare bulbs )
From Marinedepot.com
Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (110 Gallon) Internal Cone Protein Skimmer ( $295.00 )

Total Build so far: $961.90

Now you know why I said don't tell my wife :D

What else do I need?

Rotflmao...you ain't kidding. :)

that was a good one... lmao too !!!

I have been water testing since Sun am. Do you think that is enough time? if so; I can start to build out my sump once the skimmer and pump arrives. Cutting the Plexi was more of a challenge that I had thought.

I dont think I will have any regrets with the light set-up. It should more than fit my needs.

thank you all!

Im not quite sure what sort of "time" we are waiting on. If its cycling, then probably not, but your tests will tell you on that. If you are just mixing water, then yes you are fine.

Back