Old Moe's build

sorry, I am just water testing my tank... making sure no leaks. I think I am ok since it has been in there for a couple of days and no leaks. Free tanks are working out good so far!!

ok waiting for my skimmer and pump before I build the Sump. Picked up a Refractometer today.

Salinity Refractometer 4 Aquarium w 35ppt Standard | eBay

Purchased so far:
46g BowFront Display Tank ( Freebie )
29g Sump Tank ( Freebie )
White Vinegar: $0.89 ( Stop and Shop )
Algae scrubber sponge: $1.99 ( Local Fish Store )
Plexi-glass ( 18”x24” ): $18 will use rest for sump
From Marineandreef.com
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit $26.50
Eheim Aquarium Heater, 250 Watt $26.28 each ( picked up a spare too )
Hydor Koralia Evolution 550 gph $30.99
Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 gph (2) $32.99 each
AquaticLife 36" T5 HO 6 Lamp Fixture w/ Lunar Lights (w/ Free Set of Replacement Bulbs) $469.99
From Marinedepot.com
Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (110 Gallon) Internal Cone Protein Skimmer ( $295.00 )
From Ebay
Refractometer with Calibration Fluid $35.49 delivered

Total Build so far: $997.39

Thanks to all !!!

The post on this forum for reviewing/recommending equiment is awesome! saves a ton of time and a ton of money!

Last edited:
I think you'll be happy that you've decided to get lights that will allow you to keep corals down the road. Corals were much more intimidating to me that fish at first - so don't feel bad about starting off with some reef safe fish before adding corals.

You'll be happy with the Lifereef products, they're top notch. I run a Lifereef sump/refugium/protein skimmer and I've been very happy with it.

Sweet!!! my Life Reef equipment got delivered! A+ on timely delivery and packaging of items.

Purchased so far:
46g BowFront Display Tank ( Freebie )
29g Sump Tank ( Freebie )
White Vinegar: $0.89 ( Stop and Shop )
Algae scrubber sponge: $1.99 ( Local Fish Store )
Plexi-glass ( 18”x24” ): $18 will use rest for sump

From Marineandreef.com
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit $26.50
Eheim Aquarium Heater, 250 Watt $26.28 each ( picked up a spare too )
Hydor Koralia Evolution 550 gph $30.99
Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 gph (2) $32.99 each
AquaticLife 36" T5 HO 6 Lamp Fixture w/ Lunar Lights (w/ Free Set of Replacement Bulbs) $469.99

From Marinedepot.com
Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (110 Gallon) Internal Cone Protein Skimmer ( $295.00 )

From Ebay
Refractometer with Calibration Fluid $35.49 delivered

From Lifereef.com ( $310 includes shipping )
http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html
HOB ( hang on Back ) overflow Single with piping
Lifereef Silencer $19.00
2- Spare Siphon Tubes $13.00 ( I am alittle clumsy :cheerful: )
2- Return J-Tube $12.00 ( spares, same as above )
MagDrive 9 return Pump for Sump

Total Build so far: $1,307.39

Little set back over the weekend. The cabinet for the 46g bowfront will not fit my sump set-up . I am in the process of looking for something else. Skimmer is still on back-order, so I really dont want to assemble anything until it comes. ( i really do... but it sounds better that I am being patient :mrgreen: )

thanks.

I think I found the solution to my stand problem. I went shopping in my basement :D

I am going to gut and refinish an old solid wood dresser that we had tucked away for years.

Plan of Attack:
  • Gut and clean Dresser
  • Refinish exterior
  • Build new frame on inside of dresser to support weight of DT
  • Build a shelf for Sump tank on inside of tank
  • Paint inside of Dresser to seal the wood
  • Either use a piano hinge or peg system to have a full width / full height access to the sump ( I will only be keeping the draw-fronts, so the whole front will be removable )
I have most of the material already, so I dont think there will be much cost ( besides my time )...

Total build time... about 12 beers ... ( which means a couple of days, mostly to watch stain and finish dry )

Thanks.

oops, forgot to inlcude the before pic of the dresser

Attachments

• stand_1.jpg
    stand_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 210
I like the way you shop :) Glad you included a picture, I was reading your first post and was about to say, let's see it! Then I scrolled down and, there it was, you're on top of it! Bet its' gonna turn out great and I love how handy you are...

I would take out the shelves and re-enforce the the sides and top. You can figure your tank will weigh around 11-12 lbs per gallon when full, and it would be awful to have your stand collapse. Another think to consider is if you are going to be able to reach the bottom of your tank when its on top of that. I have no idea how tall you are, but as a shortie, even having a regular stand its difficult to get all the way down the bottom with my tiny arms. Which is super annoying when im trying to collect a fallen frag or clean up.

I think the picture might be deceiving, dresser is only about 30 or so inches high. ( think I measured it to be about 2 inches higher than the stock stand ). I dont think there will be any issues with reaching into the tank ( good thought though, one I never considered )

I will be completely gutting the dresser ( shelves and all ), so... basically I am building a new stand and using the existing dresser as decoration ( also will hide sump and equipment inside of it )

I have 15 month old twins and a 3 year old ( all boys ), so what ever I build I need it to be very very stable. I think I may need a screen on top so buzz lightyear does not go swimming :)

I am interested to see how it turns out...

Your name makes you sound a bit mature to have 15 month old twins! I think I had you pictured a bit differently...
3 boys that young??? You have your hands full, no wonder you need a nice, calming tank to stare into!

no updates on stand so far, I plan on having a full weekend of build time... so that means probably only a few hours :)

I love the "Identification" section here, my tank doesnt even have any water in it yet, but I read that section all the time. so interesting. Great group of people here!

thanks. ( hope to have some more pics up by the end of the weekend )

no updates on stand so far, I plan on having a full weekend of build time... so that means probably only a few hours :)

ok... so a BIG change in plans....

Almost fully built the stand for the 46g Fri/Sat and both my wife and I we not thrilled... so I went on craigslist and found an "almost" new 75g marineland pre-drilled cornerflow tank with stand... got the clearance from wife and picked it Sat Night :bounce::bounce::bounce:

so, I guess this is were I am currently with the build:

- 29g Sump complete ( bubble trap was hard to silicone in there). Waiting on Octopus Skimmer ( should be here on Wed )
- need to finish plumbing and water test DT
- Have rock coming from MarcoRocks this week ( Key Largo ). ( thanks Little Fish for link )
- when ready to start cycling I will pick up Live rock/sand from LFS ( so I will have 50lbs of dry from Marco, 50lbs Live from LFS and live sand )

I think 100lbs should be good for the 75g.

I will try to get some pics posted later today or tomorrow. I am Very excited about the change in direction from the 46g ( looks like I may put the HOB overflow from Lifereef.com on the classified section since the tank I am using is pre-drilled )

Thanks.

Back