OMG! New species tank in 5, 4, 3, 2 1

Trigger Happy

Reefing newb
After buying anenome crabs and having to set up two entirely separate tanks to house them, I I promised myself I wouldn't buy another creature that couldn't get on in the reef. :frustrat:

Then today I fell in love with a hellfire anenome:cupidarr: at the LFS and have just finished setting him up in a tank of his own. I am officially crazy in my own book now. But these "dangerous ones", somehow they really attract me. Like having a tiger in the backyard.

I will get pictures up as soon as my phone uploads to photobucket.
2012-03-12205811.jpg

2012-03-12205829.jpg

I am so excited. He is really confident and opened up on the way home in the bag! I have never had an anenome do that before and he didn't even shrink back when I moved him into his new tank.

Once he seemed settled, like 2 minutes later, ok maybe 20, I offered him a fresh mussel and he reached out so quickly I couldn't believe it. It's now 1/2 hour or so later and the whole mussel is gone.

:^:

Anyone know what sort of gloves I need to protect myself from his sting? Rubber?

Last edited:
Whoa, that anemone looks huge, and he looks great. Congrats on the new pickup.
Btw, we're all a lil crazy here. :)

Thanks for chiming in. It's good to knowI am not the only one who finds him attractive. My hubby says he looks like a cabbage and cannot understand why I got so excited.

His colors are more visable this morning, more pink and lime green. I might have to get him a better light too I think...

Looks so cool! Can you keep anything with it? corals or any fish ?

Apparently he will eat anything, fish corals etc. I have seen some photos with comensurate shrimp so I will try to find out if there are any that might be safe, otherwise he has to be in solitary confinement LOL!

I have given him some rocks and an empty shell for "friends".

Well, I finally found a creature that my hellfire can happily live with. Large Bristle starfish. And they seem to be getting on fine:
2012-04-13200632.jpg

I'll get a better picture up as soon as I can. The Green Monster is gorgeous and amazing the way he uses his limbs like an elephant trunk!
2012-04-13200706.jpg

Back