Only one

lilduud

Reefing newb
So my tank is essentially algae free, I've been running gfo and carbon for a few months and it's working wonders. The tank is pretty much spotless except, for ONE rock that algae seems to always grow on. It's an odd type of algae I've never really seen before it almost looks like a fuzzy mold growing on the surface of the rock. Could the rock be phosphate soaked and is slowly leaching it out? Or whts the deal with this.... Here's a photo of the rock, it's hard to see but its a foggy fuzzy layer covering almost the entire thing.
64fcb31b.jpg

That does look weird...did you buy that rock wet or dry? It looks like it could possibly be lace rock, which have nutrients in them, and they're releasing like you mentioned.

im pretty sure i bought it wet but he may have just put some of the base rock in the container with the rest of the live rock to seed it before i bought it. i dont have a phosphate tester because i can never get an answer on if they work or not haha there is too much controversy for me to spend the money on one. but i replace my gfo medium every 2-3 weeks im running the high grade granules from brs

im pretty sure i bought it wet but he may have just put some of the base rock in the container with the rest of the live rock to seed it before i bought it. i dont have a phosphate tester because i can never get an answer on if they work or not haha there is too much controversy for me to spend the money on one. but i replace my gfo medium every 2-3 weeks im running the high grade granules from brs
Right on, I hear ya. So change up your 2-3 week program, and start running it every week until its all gone. Even if you did get a Hanna Checker, the algea would be taking up the rest of the phosphates so you wouldn't read it. But its still getting fed.

Back