oops, droped my light in my tank...

tampafishguy

cyano happens...
anyone do this before or know something about lighting? i have 2 t5 lights that fell into the tank last night for about 10 seconds. now the light blinks (both bulbs simultaneously). is the light ruined or is there some way i can fix it? thanks guys.

:frustrat:

I haven't done this before but I did have a flood that set some of my equipment on the fritz. It took about a week for everything to dry out and work again. One piece I had to replace. If your light is blinking, then perhaps it just needs time to fully dry? When I had my flood, someone suggested I put my equipment in a container with dry rice to soak up the liquid. I don't know if that would help, or how feasible that would be with the size of your light, but its the best I can offer. I hope someone has better info or advice for you!

Not only is there water in your fixture, but corrosive salt too. Bad combo for sensitive electronics.

I'd leave it unplugged for 2 days just to be safe. Water is known to bypass components in circuitry.

Last edited:
Rice and rubbing alcohol have saved multiple small electronic devices of mine.

I don't know how you'd pull that off on a light fixture, though.
And I would think the salt would cause a significant amount of damage.

I would open the light fixture and clean out the lamp holders very well. Unplug the fixture first.

Sounds to me that the ballast is fried though. You can get replacements for them. Depending on how fancy the light is, there might be other circuitry that could be ruined.

Back