Oops.

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
I just put out a mini fire....literally....inside my stand. The ballast that controls my VHO actinic lighting failed today, causing a small electrical fire. I have two other ballasts that run my three 175W MH system, which is currently the only lighting I have for my tank right now.

I have a few questions. Payday is not for another week, so running out to buy a replacement ballast is out of the question. Will my system, including several species of softies, be alright for a week on MH lighting alone?

Next, I'm not sure which replacement ballast to get. My current ones are all magnetic (coil) and I'd like an electonic for better economy in my utilities bill. The lights that are now off include 2 72" VHO 110w bulbs, one blue and one white. What type of watts should I be looking for? They current are connected with a six-prong cord. I realize I may need to rewire the darn thing with a new cord. Should I look for an HPS or an MH ballast?

Finally, I am also trying not to bust the bank, since Christmas is quickly approaching, and I've not hit Walmart yet. Help? Suggestions? Advice?

I'm no lighting expert but I think you'll be ok. It's like a cloudy couple of days on the ocean....Perhaps you can add something temporary.

You will be fine without the VHO's for as long as it takes to get a replacement ballast. FYI, a 72" VHO bulb is 160w, not 110w (110w = 48" VHO).

I run 3 175w MH's and 2 VHO SuperActinics over my 125.

Everything will be just fine. VHOs do not produce a lot of light compared to your MHs, so your corals probably won't even notice a difference.

I know the ballast was an older one, so much so that the original had long since faded, so I don't know what brand it originally was. We bought the entire lighting set used on CL.

Well, I believe these bulbs are SuperActinic T12, 72" VHOs. What ballast would be best to power two of those? I really wish I could still read the label on this busted one. Then I might have SOME idea.

Capt- do you use the ice caps yourself? That particular magnetic ballast looks very similar to the one that blew. I guess I am a little gun shy about another magnetic and think I'd rather go with the electric. Even a tiny little decrease in the power consumption would be welcome! :)

Back