Open top or mesh??

Murph

Reefing newb
So my 120 has been set up for a few months and everything's good so far. Just have 1 lonely foxface in there, but he's fine as are the snails and crabs. I've been debating a mesh top to prevent any suicides, but finished half of it tonight and absolutely hate how it looks. Do most of you guys (and gals) just go full open top?

My tank is open top as well. But I have lost a few fish to jumping. It's up to you which is more important to you -- the way it looks or losing some fish here and there.

Thanks for the input... I'll have to give it some more thought and maybe see if I can't make the top look a little neater.

ours is canopy topped, with doors on the front that open for ventilation. those openings are covered with egg crate/lighting grid to prevent jumpers and lift off for easy access to the tank. we only see the egg crate when the doors are open. Really it becomes a personal choice.

I've had an open top for years, but recently built a mesh top for my tank...and I like the way it looks. Check out a few diy's like lil fish mentioned, or my thread to get an idea.

I don't think mesh lids look ugly. And it's certainly better than the fish jumping... Here's an old picture of mine maybe I'll take some new ones when I have a chance:

scaled.php

I've found the solution!! Do a better job on my mesh top, lol. I'm going to pull it apart and tighten up the screen and I think I might like it better. Thanks all.

I might go mess later on but right now I did egg crate. Zip tied in the front so I could open it easy for feeding and not have to remove teh whole thing. Still in the cycling process so not sure how the feeding will work yet.

Back