opinions and advice needed:)(as always)

michelle

Reefing newb
So, with the donation of my psycho blenny to the lfs, I now have one fish. My new flame hawk. I know they are a more agressive fish, but from what I have read and been told, He SHOULD (in the same sense that LMBs should not kill every fish you own) be okay in a reef, but I need to watch out for small fish and small shrimp. I was also told that he will max out at a size of 3.5-4 inches. So a "small" fish is (I am guessing) anything smaller then him. He is housed with a cleaner shrimp, but my hope is that b/c the shrimp is twice his size right now, as they grow they will be ok.

I am upgrading my tank to a 55 in April (thats really the biggest I can go in my house right now) and was wondering what the best option for the 33 would be then. I am inclined to make it the Sump. Would you think that is the best option?

Also, I am wondering about stocking. I thought I would get 2 maroon clowns with a host anemone, and a goby or purple firefish...a couple other smaller (but not too small b/c of the hawk)

Okay my next thing is inspired by rayrays new live rock. I need help!!! How do you guys all aquascape so well?? I know you need to place the rock on the glass and not on the sand. I know you need to make sure its secure and I know that I cant do it! Mine looks like a bunch of rocks and thats about it. I have 35 lbs right now, mainly fiji, with 2 slabs of aquacultured rock (i knew nothing of rock when I was convinced to by it). I know it isn't something that you can probably help my with over the internet...but TRY!! er...ehem, I mean I could sure use some tips:)
Thanks!

I would use the tank you have for a sump. I don't think it will fit under a 55 stand without some changing of the stand. To make your caves try to place three rocks on the bottom. Spread them out and then find a bigger one that covers all three. Keep using that kind of thinking and it will look awesome in no time. It takes practice.

If and when you upgrade think about going with a 75g. over the 55.You can do more because 55g. are so narrow.The cost in equipment will be the same,takes up about the same amount of space.Only the upfront cost will be a little higher.

The 33 would make a great sump as long as it fits.I'm not sure about your stocking list.Do you have enough light for the anemone?My guess is that the gobies and firefish are to small to go with the hawkfish.I've also seen big maroons at the LFS and small ones.Just so you know,I had a hawk(not a flame) that ate a 4-5'' maroon clown.If you do go with a maroon then find a large one.Don't buy two unless they are sold as a mated pair.They do not pair up easily like other clowns and many times one will kill the other.

When it comes to aquascaping,I'm probably the worst too.I spent months moving rocks around until they looked right.I was going to suggest making a double island on one island that goes up and down then up again.Its really hard to aquascape a 33g.Maybe post a pic here and we all can brainstorm.

You mean you not supposed to just pile the rocks up?:mrgreen:
I agree with Reef about going with a 75 over a 55.Both are 48 inches long.But a 75 is 18 inches wide where a 55 is 12 inches.That extra 6 inches makes all the difference in the world when it comes to aquascaping.

why taller than you need stronger light for deeper tank. 120 gallon is better 48" x 24" more room for live rock and corals plus fish have ton more room for swimming. 75 is good i have one also, definitely better than 55 gallon.

did i hear this right,"inspired", wow thank you very much !! trust me it was luck !!! i am a newbie!!!!!! i also rearranged like 5 times, LOL
good luck with your choices. I wont to upgrade myself. I was a 72 bowfont w sump !! i love the flame hawk also !!

LoL. My husband read this thread and said "no wonder you like these guys-they just convinced you to upgrade to a 120 instead of a 55" :D:D
As for the full tank picture...it's coming, I am just a little shy (or embarrased) to post pics of my shabby tank:P My up close shots of fish don't show how lacking my tank is:S
And ya Ray you read right. Really liked it.

100_3325.jpg

well, thats it. pretty sparse hey? but it's coming along....SLOWLY.

doesn't look bad at all, your rock setup is very nice. takes time to get full plus you don't want to add to much to fast got to let system age so biological filter can grow and mature plus cost a fortune to get everything you want, a little at a time. The only way i got my stuff quick cause we happen to have alot of local reefers and we trade stuff all the time. I give stuff for free like green star polyps and kenya trees and toadstool leathers to new guys in reef club or trade them for other corals.

michelle, it looks great, plenty of caves. I like the lower left if your looking at the pics. how it has the double caves then goes up to the top and flattens out !! Maybe you can find some cured tonga branch and add that. I got lucky to find mine, someone traded it in at my LFS already cured.

I actually kinda like those rock formations. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. Maybe add a rock or two to fill out some depth and you should be fine.

Actually Michelle,Your patience should inspire us all.Your the ones thats taking it slow and letting the system mature.
I dont see a thing wrong with aquascaping or set it.Looks a lot better than my rock pile.

Tank is looking good. Your doing the right thing by taking your time. I like the way you placed the rocks so fish can swim through them.

Michelle I believe you are the most modest person that Ive talked to on the internet. Your aquascaping is fanfreakintastic! I love the double cave rock on the left IT IS SOOO COOL. You also have the gift of aquascaping. Id say just a few pieces to build the bulk a little and other than that its absolutely perfect.

Back