options on replacing square pin bulbs

active

Reefing newb
my 72" light contains 3 150w mh bulbs and 4 96w actinic bulbs with the 4 pin square connector. i need to replace the actinic's and the price is outrageous for them at nearly 40.00 each.
are there affordable options to change to another light . what would you do if this was your fixture.
led's, t5's, or just bite the bullet and leave well enough alone.
i replaced the led moon lights with new royal blue ones and at night they look awesome so wiring isnt a problem for me at all.
i had thought about tearing all the florescent stuff out and going with led's but will it produce the same quality of light as the actinic. i know that this may not make sence for some that read but i am curious to see what options are there.
thanks for looking and any answers you may give

If you're talking about changing the actual actinic bulb, you would have to convert to a T5 ballast, I'm not sure how feasible or cost effective that would be, you might be better off looking for a used T5 fixture

i just ordered from these ebay Item number: 160539140208
same boat as you $21.95 on line and $40+ at LFS
I'LL see how they are in a day or two

I just re read your post my mistake! you could buy this and
the bulbs
Item number: 160726640254 if you have the room.

Last edited:
they are options but the bulb price is still outrageous. i am going to look into led's and try and build something i think - i figure 2 6 foot pieces of square aluminum to place in the area where the bulbs are. there are fans already so i think heat would not be an issue. the one time cost would pay for its self in 2 bulb changes. i would hope that 3 watt royal blue led's are close to actinic. the 150 watt halides are 20k

Back