orange tree gorgonian feeding??

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I know this gorgonian isn't photosynthetic and is a filter feeder. I put it in the tank on sat and all polyps were out but since Sunday they are no longer extended. I have kents microvert but I believe that's mainly made up of water. I also have kents phytomax, super concentration phyto plankton. Would that be a good food for the gorg? And also how should I feed it..spot feed with all powerheads and skimmer off or just put a few drops in the tank?

I feed my NPS Orange Finger Gorgonian nothing but Phyto Feast or DT's when ever I can find it (I think DT's when out of business). I have mine placed in a Biocube 29. I feed it 15 drops twice a day with powerheads on. Mine really seems to love indirect high flow. Polyps only close when I turn powerheads off for longer than 10 min. BTW....Do you know if that is LIVE phyto that you're feeding? IDK for sure if it makes a difference b/c I only use live phyto for my clams & NPS corals.

Last edited:
Idk if mine is live. I only put in 5 or 6 drops bc the directions said one drop per 50 gallons but I put in more just in case it needed it. The polyps still didn't come out. I think I'm going to try moving the powerheads around. I know its getting flow bc I can see it moving but its more direct flow than indirect. Does you putting that much in cause algae problems?

I've had mine for around a month or so and it seems the polyps on mine come out whenever they want. There is no pattern apparent to me on when they should or shouldn't be out. Just my two cents and for what it's worth mine in a red not sure if that matters. Also I don't go out of my way to feed mine and it still seems to be doing fine.

No, It does'nt cause algae problems b/c I have 10gal refugium that's filled to the brim with calurpa & cheato. Oh & Dash you're on borrowed time b/c NPS gorgonian MUST feed b/c they don't depend on light. My guess is that you must have gotten a REALLY healthy specimen. IME, if you don't feed....It WILL eventually wither away.

Back