Order of importance

reefer82

Reefing newb
ok my tank has been running for about 3 weeks now but I still have some equipment and other things to buy. The tank has already hit a nitrite spike and went back to 0 so I'm assuming my cycle is over. I have added 3 turbo snails and a yellow tail blue damsel.

out of the few things I have left to buy which one do you guys think is most important.

• macro algae, sand and live rock rubble to complete the refugium. (fuge has nothing yet)
  • 15 more pounds of live rock.
  • An HOB protein skimmer
  • add more inverts to my CUC.
  • RO/DI unit to make water for water changes and top off.

IMO

correct amount of rock (you dont have to buy live, you can buy dry which is much cheaper and it will become live in a few weeks)

RO/DI unit
HOB skimmer
finnish up the CUC
finish the fuge stuff

can I take some rock from my freshwater tank and put it into my saltwater tank.
My freshwater tank has been up for about 2 years now but I'm guessing I should boil the rock and rinse it out?

It's probably not calcium carbonate based rock. Saltwater rock is light and porous. Freshwater rock tends to be dense. Lots of time lava rock is used in freshwater, which isn't good for a saltwater tank. So I guess that depends on the type of rock it is.

Probably not a good idea to take rock out of a freshwater tank to use in salt. I wouldn't risk it to save a few dollars,could cost you more in the long run.

As for the order of things to get:
Skimmer
More rock.
RODI unit.
CUC.

Back