ordered my tank and etc

If you do not clean the canister filter on a regular basis (weekly), nitrates will start to build up in your tank. I used to run a canister filter on my old tank and had nitrate problems constantly. Removing the canister filter cut my nitrates in half.

Biff, is it the carbon in the canister filters that cause nitrates or the pad? or both?

its mainly the pads, you don't want to run carbon constantly anyway, i only run it once or twice a month for a total of 3 to 4 days.

Any mechanical or chemical media allowed to become a biological filter will produce nitrate.So both filter floss,carbon,sponge filters etc. can become nitrate factories.

I used to have to crapister filters on my 90 they were rated for way more then the tank size. After years of battling nitrate problems I built a refugium with a better skimmer and no nitrates at all anymore. Look on youtube at the protien skimmers and you will see the hype. I would forget the canister and get the best skimmer you can afford. The power sweeps are junk too by the way.

Back