Our Tank!

Carli

Reefing newb
My boyfriend and I have had this 20 gallon tank since probably around last November! Right now we have 2 ocellaris clowns (Lizzie & Gordo), 2 purple dottybacks, a melanarus wrasse, a red scooter dragonet (Scooter), 3 rose bubble tip anemones, about 6 green striped mushrooms, a kenya tree, a spiny brittle star, 2 emerald crabs, a frogspawn coral, and about 10-15 little hermit crabs! We just bought a 55 gallon and are trying to get all the supplies and are hoping to get it set it up soon! I will definitely post updates when that happened. The most recent exciting thing that happened was our anemone got really big (took up about half of the tank) and then split into two. Then today we found a little baby anemone on the glass!
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG

Nice looking nem/clowns.

I would try to eliminate the aiptasia nems that you have on some of the rocks before moving them into the 55. AiptasiaX has worked very well for me in the past , but if you are against the chemical method then maybe look into peppermint shrimp as some of them will eat the aiptasia.

definitely get that 55G going...you have a lot of fish for that 20G, rule of thumb for SW is 1inch of fish per 10G and you are triple that

I also agree with ninjafish, get rid of those aiptasia anemones

Well, aside from the fact that you're way overstocked and have aiptasia (we've all had it), it does look good. But when you get that 55 up, I wouldn't add anymore fish unless you're sacrificing something else.

lol thanks guys. and yeah we are just starting to get rid of the aiptasia and are aware we are overstocked! don't worry though, we are not planning on getting any new fish anytime soon unless we sell one or two! the expert guy at my LFS says that as long as the fish look healthy and are acting healthy (which they are) that they're okay, but the upgrade will definitely be good for them.

the "expert guy at my LFS" says that as long as the fish look healthy and are acting healthy (which they are) that they're okay.....

Haha I would like to state he is no expert if he tells you that. I just Lol'd at work really loud....
So what do you have for filtration?
And if I was to keep those fish all together even in the 55G I would get rid of the Dottybacks or a dotty back and the wrasse.. and for that many hermit crabs you must be looking for causalities?

I appreciate the feedback, but I don't appreciate how it was said. Different people have different opinions and your post made me feel like I'm stupid or something for listening to the person at my LFS. He actually does know quite a bit. I've been to many stores and looked on many blogs and forums and each place has different opinions on different matters but that doesn't mean that he's not an expert. You may have a different opinion and background of information than him. This is my thread and I would appreciate it if there was only positive feedback, not feedback that basically bashes my LFS which I trust and get a majority of my information from. For anyone else reading this, please refrain from negative feedback, as I will simply ignore it from now on. Thanks

And I am planning on investing in a CUC, also so far there have been NO casualties whatsoever. We are switching to a sump when we get the 55 gallon running, but for now we have a filter for up to 75 gal tanks on it.

I'm running my tank only with a filter too. I do not have a sump yet. What kind of snails do you have in mind for your CUC?

I'm not sure yet! I haven't had time to research yet because I just started college (I'm a freshman)! It's been super busy! Any suggestions?

Go to reefcleaners.org and check out his cleaner packs that will give you a good mix. Then order about half the amount he suggests.

Alright! Thanks so much! I'll definitely check that website out as soon as I can find some free time! (I'm in class right now....oops not paying much attention!) I'm hoping to minor in marine biology though, so that will give me an excuse to do this in my free time :P

Back