Our Tank!

Congratulations! Going to college is very exciting enjoy your freshman year.

1+ Aquarian You should try a good mix of snails, but as he said just order the half of the amount so they don't starve to death later in your tank for the lack of food. I read a post here from someone who bought from that site and he said the snails were very good, the only issue was that the number of snails that the package suggested for his tank, were too many.

[quote"Carli, post: 644836, member: 9702"]I appreciate the feedback, but I don't appreciate how it was said. Different people have different opinions and your post made me feel like I'm stupid or something for listening to the person at my LFS. He actually does know quite a bit. I've been to many stores and looked on many blogs and forums and each place has different opinions on different matters but that doesn't mean that he's not an expert. You may have a different opinion and background of information than him. This is my thread and I would appreciate it if there was only positive feedback, not feedback that basically bashes my LFS which I trust and get a majority of my information from. For anyone else reading this, please refrain from negative feedback, as I will simply ignore it from now on. Thanks

And I am planning on investing in a CUC, also so far there have been NO casualties whatsoever. We are switching to a sump when we get the 55 gallon running, but for now we have a filter for up to 75 gal tanks on it.[/quote]

All I'm going to say is this: regardless of his/her knowledge, at the end of the day, a store is a business and it is there job to make money. Nobody here is calling anybody stupid or being disrespectful, but on behalf of us all, we recommend coming here or to another reputable site to verify what they tell you. Nobody here has any financial stake in your tank so it's a safe placeto ask should the need arise. All wwe're trying to do is steer you in the right direction so your experience is as painless as possible and so you don't get discouraged from problems that can arise in this hobby.

Now that that's been set aside, John is wonderful. I, top, suggest seeing about one of his pre-made packages or chat with him for your more specific needs.

Thanks, but actually I personally know the owners of the store, and I know the guy we get our information from honestly wants the best for our tank and always provides us with the most accurate and cost-effective ways to solve any problems, even if that involves selling us nothing. He truly just has a passion for marine life and shares this great hobby with us. I get that this is a place to ask and such, but this is my spot to show off my tank and I'd like to keep it with positive feedback and nothing negatively put, as I said before. That post wasn't meant for a response, it was meant to show that I will be disregarding negative posts on my forum post, so everyone please keep their negative opinions and posts responding to this one off of this forum. Thanks.

And I am about to go check that site out as we speak.

Nassarius Snails, Turbo Snails, and Cerith Snails is what I'd recommend. Hermits are great cleaners, but have a tendency to become serial killers lol. They will kill each other, as well as snails. Most people steer clear of them lol. I have about 50 left in my 55g. I supplement feedings with pellets for them so they don't starve :p.

What type of food do you feed? Frozen, Flake, Pellets, or Live?

Yeah I think I'm going to be getting those snails soon! And i feed the corals frozen "coral food mix" which is basically enriched phytoplankton. I feed the nems frozen brine shrimp cubes, and I feed the fish either frozen brine shrimp cubes, spirulina and brine shrimp freeze dried food, and sometimes flakes. I alternate what I feed the fish to keep variety. Oh and what's your view on pellets? I've thought about adding them to get more variety because I've been told variety is good for them.

I use pellets, flakes, frozen, and live. So, I like pellets. I have the meaty ones as well as the herbivore ones. Formula One makes a good pellet :).

Also, if your clowns are hosting the nem, and you feed them frozen, you don't need to feed the nem lol. The clowns will actually take pieces over and feed the nem themselves :p

Good to know! We only feed the nems like once every few weeks, just because my bf wanted it to get bigger and split, but now it split so we don't feed them very often anymore! I haven't noticed the clowns feeding them yet though, at least when I'm watching! :P

Do you ever see them grab food, and run back to the nem after? Well, whatever you're doing has been working, so I'd ignore what I said and keep doing it. If you can get it to keep splitting, you can make money of them clones :p.

Making some money would be nice as opposed to spending it all the time! :P We're hoping they keep splitting! And now that you mention it I think a few times I have seen the clowns do that, I guess I never really made the connection!

That's why a lot of people will setup a breeding station for easier fish; offset the costs a little. Its easier said than done, I guess taking care of clown fry is worse than a newborn.

Sorry I haven't had a lot of time to post in here! I've been pretty busy with school and life. So here's some updates! My boyfriend and I started working on setting up the 55 gallon tank a couple weeks back! We've been making one big purchase each week and are slowly getting set up. So far we have the tank, the stand, and the sump! My boyfriend is starting to work on the piping and the set up. We painted the back wall of the tank blue already and it's looking good! We're so excited to actually get some water in it!

The 20 gallon is looking great still! All the corals open up nicely during the day and the fish are active and happy! Our two anemones are HUGE! Each one is about the size of what it was before they split! We never did find the little baby anemone. :( Maybe it'll turn up someday! I'll try to post pictures later of everything but I can't guarantee anything!

Alrighty! I have pictures finally! Took me awhile. We used like 12 5 gallon buckets to get all the water in( sooo heavy). I swear my car was low riding the whole way home. Only 9 jugs are pictured, whoops.
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG
still cloudy from putting the sand in.
IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1785.JPG
Still have a lot left to do. We got a puppy about a week ago, so the tank has been put on hold a little bit due to vet bills and puppy training. :) Just for anyone who's curious, he's a 2 month old Pitbull Sharpei mix named Kado. Here's a pic, cuz who doesn't love puppy pics?
IMG_1829.JPG
sorry it's sideways, idk how to change that. lol. I'm gonna start another comment for the rest of what I have to say cuz this is way too confusing to manage all these attachments and I have more pics of our 20 gal tanks progress too!

Moving on, our 20 gal tank is doing quite well! WE FOUND THE BABY ANEMONE!!! He just randomlly popped up again! I'm so happy he didn't die! :P So here's some progress pics for ya!
IMG_2092.JPG
it's the baby!!! :D
IMG_2096.JPG
Started with 2, now we have about 14 of these mushroom dudes (my nickname for them). :P
IMG_2097.JPG
IMG_2100.JPG
ignore the aiptasia, we're working on it.
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG
Our two anemones are now as big, if not bigger than it was before it split!! :D So pretty! Anyways, I don't know if anyone actually reads this, but if you do enjoy! I always enjoy sharing my experience with others and getting advice and I love hearing about other people's tanks, so feel free to share!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 242
Back