Over feeding?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
So some of you know me and have been more than helpful with you responses. I have been doing a LOT of reading recently and have come across a bit of a conundrum.

I have two fish that apparently should be fed twice a day OR at a minimum once a day. On the other hand I have phosphate issues (per a positive test) and some slime on my sand. To correct this I have been told not to feed every day, but every other day.

I am diligent about doing water changes every week. My parameters are dead on and have been for a long time. My tank is maxed out with fish. Actually I think its slightly over stocked with ten fish. Unless something drastic happens, I will continue to have 10 fish. I also just set up a fuge in my sump. I run a skimmer but its not really pulling a lot. Right now its kinda wet skimming just so its doing something. I have new lights on the way which should help.

So where is the middle ground? How should I feed? I'm currently feeding San Francisco Bay Brand frozen saltwater multi pack or Rods food. When I must, never more than two 3 days at a time when I'm out of town, a combination of flake food and pellets in an auto feeder. Not the best, but sometimes you do what you have to do!

Livestock:

1x Snowflake Clown
1x Yellow stripped Maroon Clown
1x Dragonette
1x One spot FoxFace
1x Royal Gramma
1x Yellow tail Damsel fish
3x Blue/Green Chromis
1x Dwarf Flame Angel
2x Mexican Turbo Snails
5x Nass Snails
10x Turbin Snails
Plus pods and various small hitchhikers. I also have a several corals.

I don't think any of those fish need to be fed multiple times a day (I've kept all of them at some point and I'm a skimpy feeder). I think with what you have, you are fine for every other day. :) I assume the dragonette eats frozen without any problems?

Yes he does, but I did start supplying the tank with pods just for him. I have been told that it should be fed once a day at least to keep him healthy. I have read this in various places as well. Same situation for the FoxFace.

My other concern is aggressive behavior. Right now I don't have any. Everyone gets along just fine feeding 4 days a week. However knowing that I have potentially aggressive fish as well as incomparable fish, I would rather keep the fat to avoid them fighting for food.

Another question is how much should I feed? I know the standard is what they can eat in 3 minutes. That's really a silly explanation. I feed with the power heads on as I'm sure most folks do. That blows stuff everywhere and the fish pick around for it all day long. The fish that come to the top eat more. The fish near the bottom get less. Faster fish eat more so are the slower fish getting enough?

I'm really trying to establish some good guidelines. I guess I've been doing okay, but I do have nagging issues. No one seems to have written any serious guides for feeding. At least what I have seen anyway.

Back