Overflow Ideas

chaosfinity

Got Kalk?
Im trying to figure out how to set up overflows on a tank with predilled holes for 1 inch bulkheads on the back glass. The center of the hole is about 4 inches down from the top and 1.5 inches from the sides. There is 2 holes one of each side of the back glass so 2 corner overflows.

Really my first question for this is how big does the box have to be to allow the full flow of the plumbing for that box.

Alright my idea after looking at the durso stand pipes is maybe to make the spout for the down pipe in the tank and the rest of the stand pipe outside of the tank. Im not sure how this will work but my idea is to keep it quiet but still have the flow as this tank is in my bedroom.

I would love to drill this tank in the center bottom and use the two side holes as returns but i think the bottom is tempered and it was made in 1997 so i think it would explode anyway and its just darn HEAVY.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
if the hole size is only a one inch then that's not going to be big enough for a 1 inch bulkhead. it's probaly set up for 1/2 inch pipe. my lfs set up some 15 gallon frag tanks that had one inch holes drilled in each corner. it works, but there's not much flow. the drain worked pretty neat. he used a 1/2 inch tee. the center portion of the tee went to the bulkhead, one end went into the water, and the other end above the water line. it works very similar to a durso and is very quite.

O im sorry lol i meant it was for a 1 inch pipe i didnt measure the hole but i took the bulkheads out because they were blue and he glued in the pipe and it was annoying so it went out lol.

You could get 2 bulkhead fittings and then use a couple street elbows to turn them up to adjust the height of the water that you want. Right now, the water level in your tank would be to the bottom of the holes.

Brian

Back