Overflow Problem...

How about a DIY overflow? Why does it have to be a box anyway? Can't it just be a pipe with some mesh at the end? Like this?

overflowdiagram.jpg

The only problem I can see with that is that even though it wouldn't suck anything down, fish and stuff might get stuck at the end.

Okay, I need to be patient,, paaatient :ugh:, PATIENT!!!! PATIENT!!!!!!!!:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

Just go buy a quality overflow and stop over thinking stuff. How in hell do you get a thread on such a simple subject to be 7 pages long anyways?

I totally get that you are trying to save money, but something things you should just go buy. If you cant afford the cost of the overflow, then you shouldnt have sump. Or the tank. This is an expensive hobby, and you have to accept that and move on. Cut costs where you can, but be smart about it. You cant DIY everything.

Last edited:
Or do something like this so there's no way a fish can get sucked in.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ughJUk101Yo&feature=related"]‪My DIY marine aquarium‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

You can even make the end threaded and screw one of these on there if you're worried:

Overflow Strainer - MPT

Don't you guys get it? It is not an HOB overflow, it has an overflow box inside the tank that connects to the plumbing inside the tank. I can't find anything like that. People who don't have a built in overflow like a corner or center one, use HOB or don't have a sump.

It's not that I'm too cheap to spend $80 on an eshopps overflow, it's that that's not what I'm looking for. Okay?

he not going cheap guys if you watch the vid you will see he spent over 100 bucks for the overflow hes got now
ok so your new overflow has its plumbing on the back right? and where is the downspout tube coming rom? the bottom of the tank or the back of the tank?pics of the tanks plumbing would be great

he not going cheap guys if you watch the vid you will see he spent over 100 bucks for the overflow hes got now
ok so your new overflow has its plumbing on the back right? and where is the downspout tube coming rom? the bottom of the tank or the back of the tank?pics of the tanks plumbing would be great

I haven't gotten a new overflow. I found a place that sells the boxes but the hole is in the back, which won't work with my plumbing. This is how it looks, but obviously with out the overflow box.

scaled.php

So that picture is the inside of the tank shot from the front?

Everyone is confused because 1) nobody has seen a setup like that before and 2) you haven't explained the problem very well or taken any decent pictures that make any sense.

Your quickest option would be to just cap those holes and seal them off entirely, and run an HOB overflow. Or you can make a closed loop out of them. If you really have to use them as an overflow, then build yourself an overflow tower around them like a reef ready, cut out the box that's there, and modify a durso to fit in its place. The other line I would use as return, and make it's exit come over the 'new' overflow tower box you'd have built around it.

It's either that, or get a new tank. Considering the original problem, if the overflow is emptying faster than it can 'take in' water, it's most likely due to the fact you have 850gph of pump trying to suck that much water into a pipe (with air) limited to 300.

Honestly though, more pics would help. It looks to me like the exits are on the lower *back* half of the tank. Like it's a reef ready tank, minus the exits being on the bottom of the tank, and minus the overflow tower built around with the proper pipes coming up to the surface. More than that, it looks like they were closed loop lines that were modified.

Do you think petco will order a tank for me?

And what plumbing parts are required for in the overflow? I'm kinda confused about how the bulkheads work as well. :-?

So, I got the box repaired. I just filled the tank up and turned the pump on. The overflow was having the same problem. But I found that if I stick a finger in there to reduce the flow in to the pipe, the overflow stays nice and full. Is there something I can stick in there so I don't have to keep my finger in there as long as the tank is running? :shock:

Back