Parrot's 150 Long

your house is haunted, theres an orb in the way of me seeing your plumbing!
HAHAHAHA

Yeah i vote for redoing the return after you do your water test. It seems a little high lol.

If you don't want it to go over the top of the overflow you could cut out 2 sections where the slots are that would allow the 45s to set in them at the water level.

Yeah, I am redoing it for sure. I'd love some ideas on a good way to plumb the return. Right now it comes up as a 1" pipe, and splits to two 3/4" loclines - so something similar.

And yes, my house is haunted. It's an old 1920's former rectory and there are a lot of creepy things here!

Almost forgot. Its not necessary , nor advised, to put teflon tape/paste on the true unions where they connect to the union itself. The gasket on the open face of the union will prevent the water from seeping through. Suprisingly, I just learned that it is not recommended to put teflon tape or liquid teflon on a pvc joint because it adds strain to the joint. The threads of a pvc joint are tapered so the stress on the joint is increased with each successive turn, which is why they break if over tightened. Adding teflon will increase this stress because the diameter of the pipe is increased. So with all that said, I think fitting manufacturers are now recommending liquid sealer. I have paraphrased the following info from LASCO Fittings from an article called "The do's and dont's of assembling PVC fittings." Hope I referenced that correctly.

Yeah, I am redoing it for sure. I'd love some ideas on a good way to plumb the return. Right now it comes up as a 1" pipe, and splits to two 3/4" loclines - so something similar.

And yes, my house is haunted. It's an old 1920's former rectory and there are a lot of creepy things here!

I would still come up with the 1 inch return and T off with a regular 3/4 inch TEE so that the top of the TEE is at the top of the overflow weir. Then put a length of the grey pvc (which I think is schedule 80 PVC) just to the edge of the overflow and cut 2 notches in the overflow so that a 45 degree loc line fitting will fit into it. Then just attach the flexible loc line lines so they will be submerged. Also make sure that you use the similiar types of PVC for the return. I am working on a drawing to help explain what I have tried to describe.

Yeah, I've heard differing viewpoints on teflon, but, what I've tended to find out from other plumbing projects is just not to over tighten it past hand tight.

If the T is 3/4 vs 1", I'm reducing my return a lot. If I reduce it after the T, there's no reduction on my return pump's capacity. (it outputs at 1")

What do you mean similar types of PVC for the return? You mean 40 vs 80? Shouldn't matter...

Yeah, I've heard differing viewpoints on teflon, but, what I've tended to find out from other plumbing projects is just not to over tighten it past hand tight. I used teflon on my plumbing and just made sure it wasn't overly tight.

If the T is 3/4 vs 1", I'm reducing my return a lot. If I reduce it after the T, there's no reduction on my return pump's capacity. (it outputs at 1"). Because you are eventually reducing the 1 inch line to a 3/4 inch line you will still have a reduction in the flow rate even if you reduce the line to 3/4 after the TEE. The flow will just be reduced at the tee instead of the outlet.

What do you mean similar types of PVC for the return? You mean 40 vs 80? Shouldn't matter...Because the diameters of sch 40 and sch 80 are different you would have to use a coupler to go from one to the other.
You probably won't have to worry about this, just wanted to throw it out there.

I also added a pic of my return and a picasso like drawing of what I was trying to describe with the overlfow LOL.

Attachments

• Overflow.jpg
    Overflow.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 382
  • Upclose of Overflow.jpg
    Upclose of Overflow.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 439
Do you have a siphon break drilled in those returns?

I'm probably doing something similar, but I'm not going to drill or mess with the overflow - all my luck it'd break and I'd have to replace it. I'm going to try to have the locline start IN the overflow and just come up and over.

Do you have a siphon break drilled in those returns?

I'm probably doing something similar, but I'm not going to drill or mess with the overflow - all my luck it'd break and I'd have to replace it. I'm going to try to have the locline start IN the overflow and just come up and over.

My return does not have a siphon break. I installed a check valve right after my return pump to combat the return siphon effect and so far it seems to be working. My return lines are also not that deep in the water so that if I do get a little siphon my sump has enough capacity to hold it.

Just did a quick search on the googles and I have seen that some people have had success with Krylon Fusion. I
The return looks good btw!!! Can't wait to see your tank filled with agua!!!

Last edited:
1a8f6b89.jpg

Ok, finished up the major part of the plumbing. Tomorrow hopefully I'll have water in it for the leak test. While the leak test is going on, I'll be plumbing up the water change system and the scrubber!

Back