Parrot's 150 Long

Thanks Smitty, I'll use that.

It should be arriving in about 2 weeks or less. I'm waiting for them to get back to me on a shipping confirmation.

So, today I started the water change construction...
IMG_20110914_155714.jpg

The big green barrel (RODI water) is going to be elevated a little higher so one end can fill up the 25 gallon salt water mixer container. At least the salt water tank (preferably the fresh water tank as well), will be able to pump up to the main floor for water changes and to fill the top off reservoir in the sump. Eventually I might even move the entire sump into the basement.

I'm debating how to move the water from the salt mixer tank to the upstairs. I can either have a pump in the bottom of the tank, but then the amount I'll be able to pump out will be limited compared to if I drill a hole in the bottom of the salt water reservoir tank and have an in-line external tank. But I don't have any experience drilling into those plastic tanks and putting in a bulk head...

Thanks Dennis,
Maybe I'll go that route then.

Any recommendations for an in-line pump for pumping up a floor or for the size of tubing for going upstairs?

-Alex

I'm using the LiterMeter III for my water change system with 1/4" tubing. You don't need much power at all. Well, it depends what you want to do. The LM is just a dosing pump meant for moving tiny amounts of water, a crap-load of times per day. But if you are going to do big water changes once a week like most people, then you can just get a cheap mag drive or something. I have an extra eheim pump that pumps the water from my RO container to my mixing container. Pretty much anything would work, just depends how fast you need to get the job done. Your going upstairs so just check the back of the box for head height info.

Basically, under the tank, I'm going to put a 10 gallon top off bucket to feed the ATO. However, to fill that 5 gallon bucket, I want to be able to pump the water from the big holding tank downstairs by flipping a switch.

Mag drive sounds like it will work!

Ok, slight setback - when setting up my RODI in the basement, I realized I don't have a great place to dump the waste water!
I can run a line to the outside no problem, but it would probably freeze closed in the winter!
I suppose in the winter, I can run it into the washing machine drain (if I can figure that out) - I have to pay sewer fees with waste water, though.

Any novel ideas?

Yeah, I pay it right with my water bill (it's one bill but covers both) - I never thought to wonder what it is until I noticed the quantity of water I was paying to dispose of!

Ok...dumb question...how would I get at the washing machine drain? It is easy to tap in to?

Okay, another question...
Would this be good as a foam lining between the stand and the tank to even it out? Mind you, my house is OLD so the floors aren't 100% level - with this tank, I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks!
Alex

Yeah, I pay it right with my water bill (it's one bill but covers both) - I never thought to wonder what it is until I noticed the quantity of water I was paying to dispose of!

Ok...dumb question...how would I get at the washing machine drain? It is easy to tap in to?

Ya, now that you mention it... my water bill and sewer bill (all under one bill) are about the same. How the heck is sewer water from a drain measured by the city???

My washing machine drain is just a hole in the wall next to the water feed pipe. You tap into this with a Y fitting. TheFilterGuys sells them. But as far as the drain goes, I just run my waste water line from the filter, right into the drain hole in the wall. It just sits in there.

Okay, another question...
Would this be good as a foam lining between the stand and the tank to even it out? Mind you, my house is OLD so the floors aren't 100% level - with this tank, I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks!
Alex

Ya, i think that's what most people use. The stuff i got from lowes was pink i think. But looks the same to me other than the color.

I don't know about him, but we don't even HAVE basements in Houston.
That's what happens when you are only literally 50 ft above sea level. ;)

Nope, no basement drain! I wish...my basement floods! Maybe I should make one...somehow. But then again, that would be a big sewage bill for all the flood water!

I think there's a meter on the "out" side of your water line. Wait...so you just have a hole in the wall? That's kind of weird!

I think there's a meter on the "out" side of your water line. Wait...so you just have a hole in the wall? That's kind of weird!

hole in the wall with a pipe inside it. But ya... the flexible drain hose from the washer just kinda sits in this pipe in the wall.

Back