Parrot's 150 Long

Just a few new pics, nothing spectacular...
20120201-8.jpg

20120201-11.jpg

Convict tang is getting obese...

20120201-6.jpg

He's a really awesome fish, super bold. He's the tank bully even though he's the smallest inhabitant. I'm worried about the naso tang though. He was at the lfs and getting skinnier since he was in a fairly small tank (much like the convict who was incredibly skinny) Against my judgment I got him hoping to save him. My tank will likely eventually be too small for him. He's eating and starting to fatten up and has helped the tomini tang become more bold. Now the three amigos shoal together in front of the tank.

Thanks Eric. Yea he's pretty purple. The other one I have has a super cool black and white stripe pattern but he doesn't come out as much. I've been training them to eat pellets.

I dont think you will have to worry about the Naso for some time.. They only grow as fast as they have to , meaning if the other fish are smaller and he doesnt have to compete he will grow slower.. Mine has only grown just over an inch in over a year. But did get alot plumper..:D

Thanks Marc - I'll keep an eye on him. I've never seen a fish that didn't hide when I put him in. It's cool that his boldness is contagious with the other fish.

Sarah, yeah, I can't get over how awesome the convict is! I like him even more than my old foxface from the 75. Mine was pretty skinny when I got him - at my LFS (which is pretty good for the most part), the tangs seem to get skinnier the longer they stay there. I bought him as soon as I saw him but left him at the LFS for a few weeks because, at the time, the tank was relatively new and I had recently added the clowns, so I wanted to wait. In 3 weeks while there, he really started to lose weight, so I brought him home early. Feeding brine that's gutloaded with zooplankton really helped.

I'm sad to announce I had to put down my naso tang. He ate a little at first and even got a little excited about food but I guess never developed the typical tang appetite. He didn't eat at all for the past two days and today was too weak to swim. I put him in a bowl of tank water and then into the freezer. Hopefully a less stressful way to go. I am SO sad about it! Maybe the other tangs were too rowdy for him to be comfy eating. I suspect parasites tho, but who knows. In afraid to look in the freezer and see if he's dead. Waaah. :(

Yeah, looking back on it, I failed in not properly assessing the fish before purchase. He wasn't eating much in the store, and that pretty much violates the cardinal rule of making sure they do. I thought I could do better than the fish store (which I probably could, but still...)

Anyway, I was at the LFS today like almost every Friday and I saw the same foxface I've been eyeballing for the past 3 weeks. He's a small one, about 3 or 4", but was eating and looked fat enough. He was a little skittish, but seems healthy. I was waiting for a magnificent foxface, but the LFS has been having trouble finding a good specimen for me - so I ended up getting him. He's already out and acting bold in the tank and ate readily only an hour after acclimation. I have a good feeling about him!

Thanks for all the thoughts for Fernando. May he rest in fishy heaven and eat all the algae he wants.

Sorry to hear about your naso Alex, they're such beautiful tangs. Those were great pics of the tangs too.

Back