passive behavior

natan

Reefing newb
Hi all,

2 days ago I put 2 yellow tail damsels and 3 red clawed hermit crabs in my tank (15g). The 2 fish stick in their corners under living rock and almost never come out. The hermits do not move form the spot (one of them molted while in the transport so this could explain it but the other 2...??)

The water seems fine after a 20% change and the tank is cycled: 0 NH4+; 0 NO2-; <20 NO3-; pH 8.4...

What could explain the passive behavior? Might it be the adjustment time? (The fish were much more lively when I got them though?) In the case a fish seems sick, would it be kosher to sacrifice it in order to prevent the spread of disease?

Thanks for any answers!

Fish will hide the first few days. They need time to adjust to their new surroundings. As for the hermits did you acclimate them? I would give them time they should come around.

The fish & hermits have only been in their new and unfamiliar surrounding for 2 days. This very common as they need a few days to adjust and get used to their new home.

maybe its the damnsel i heard and was just reading threads about damnsel killing fish do u think ur fish might be scared of the damnsel

Yeah, I think it is the acclimatization time. The tank is cycled (5 days post the NO2- spike and zero nitrites, zero ammonia at this point...and low nitrates after the 25% water change).
What puzzles me is that the damsels would hide under the rock after showing lively behavior. Maybe it is their territoriality. The hermits wouldn't move at all (not even to seek a shady place) and I have to look closely to make sure they are alive at all.

-------------------------------------------
God give me patience - but do it quick!

Give them a few days. Damsels are territorial. My sister has a yellow tail and it stays in the rock most of the time.

In my experience, yellow tailed damsels are more timid than other commonly sold types of damsels. Like others have said, this behavior is not unusual for new fish. It may take them a week or so to get adjusted to their new home. With really shy fish (like mandarins for example), you may not see them for months after they're added.

Back